× Family & Parenting

Hidden penis

More
6 years 6 months ago #88808 by megboo
Try searching for pics of a toddler's hidden penis on Google and not look like a pedophile. Geez.

Anyway, the boy is big for his age. He's the size of a 2-year-old but only 15 months. He started really growing around 2 months of age, despite being 6 weeks early :/

Anyway, he's proportionate, so appropriately chunky for his age, no dietary concerns from the pediatrician, but he has a very large fat pad over his penis, and when he stands, his entire penis retracts and you can't see it. Poor thing.

When I wash him, and he's laying down, I'm able to retract his skin and it's a normal size for a baby and everything. He was circumcised at birth, and what I'm concerned about is that he may have been overzealously circ'd and with this fat pad may end up needing surgery. It really started to become evident between 2-3 months, and the pediatrician and I decided to keep an eye on it until 15 mo, in case it would just dissipate as he started walking. But, no, it's the same, despite him now running everywhere.

So, his 15-mo checkup is this Friday, and we're going to discuss referral to a urologist to give us a better idea of what we're working with. My biggest fear is potty training in the short-term and him having a retracted penis in adolescence/adulthood in the long run.

Anyone else have experience with this with their kids or elsewhere? He seems to be pretty textbook from the appropriate pictures I've seen, and I really don't want to wait too long if surgery is indicated. The less he remembers, the better.

"Some of it's magic and some of it's tragic but I had a good life all the way."<br />- He Went to Paris by Jimmy Buffett

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago #88809 by southernmd
I think the urologist will be able to give you an idea of what to expect. I have never heard of or seen this, but I bet the peds uro will be able to help you not feel alone in this. I'm sure other kids have gone through this!

Wish I had more to share. Let us know how his appointment goes.

More
6 years 6 months ago #88819 by megboo
Yeah, it's a little bizarre. I feel bad for the boy, but the good thing is that it's largely correctable. I'll let you know what comes of it.

"Some of it's magic and some of it's tragic but I had a good life all the way."<br />- He Went to Paris by Jimmy Buffett

More
6 years 6 months ago #88824 by clee03m
Poor baby. I hope he doesn't need surgery. My son is almost 3 and potty trained, but he still doesn't aim and my husband and I aim for him. I kind of think your baby will be Ok potty training if that is what you are worried about.

More
6 years 6 months ago #88828 by Docmomof4
poor thing and poor you. Please keep us posted on what the uro says..

More
6 years 5 months ago #88841 by Baby Einstein
It's super common. I have lots of babies/toddlers with this in my clinic. I don't refer them. Would you let me know if the urologist says anything different? It just never occurred to me to refer them (as long as they have normal size penis and testes beneath all that fat), but maybe I'm wrong! My feeling is that the fat pad is gonna melt away when he goes from chubby toddler to preschooler to school age kids! All babies have a fat pad there, it's just that some have a bigger one. Anyway, I personally wouldn't worry too much and keep us posted!

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101mommd2b
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!