× Family & Parenting

Having a baby in early 4th year?!?! Advice please!

More
6 years 1 month ago #89187 by karon921
Sorry, I meant the director for our rotations for my 3rd year of medical school.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 1 month ago #89188 by southernmd
I would also evaluate how competitive of an applicant you might be ie. how widely you'll be traveling for interviews. I don't think it would be a big deal to be preg for IM or FM interviews. It all depends on what your goals are though. I think it would be harder to interview with a couple month old baby, but again - it depends on where you are trying to go for residency - far away or nearby home with lots of family help. MD match will req lots of interviewing bc the match was exceedingly competitive this year. I'd recommend at least 10 interviews maybe 12. But again - all this is dependent on how competitive of an applicant you are. I met a girl on my anesthesia interviews who was still breastfeeding her baby. Her husband came to all her interviews and they brought the baby and shed pump during the days.

More
6 years 1 month ago #89189 by karon921
It sure is a lot to think about! Thanks so much for all of your helpful advice. :)

More
6 years 1 month ago #89195 by asunshine

karon921 wrote: Some of my questions are: did you feel that you were treated with the same respect as other students on your rotations while you were pregnant? how did you manage pumping or breastfeeding while on rotations? how did you cope with such a short maternity leave (i think mine would be 4 weeks. I know it could be worse)?

Generally I felt I was treated with the same respect, if not more sometimes. But don't get me wrong: there will always be people who think moms can't hack it in med school. Thankfully those people are in the minority, and thankfully you can decide whether or not you are going to care about what they think.

Anyway, you're 25!! 4th year might be the easiest time to have a baby (especially if you think you will take a year off), but internship/residency is definitely not the easiest time to be raising a small child, although many of us (including myself) have done it, and happily. Depending on what you want to become (chair of neurosurgery vs part-time clinic), late residency/early practice might be a great time to do it.

Anyone else care to comment?

More
6 years 1 month ago #89198 by PeggySue
I had a late 4th year baby (March) and it was pretty ideal. Stacked my schedule so I was off from birth to starting residency. Did all my hard rotations early. Interviewed early so for the most part I wasn't obviously pregnant (with some strategic dressing).

The main hassel I would foresee with a early 4th year baby would be interviewing while breastfeeding. Interview days do not usually have any good breaks to use for pumping, so you'd probably need to ask for accommodations. And in those early days you really can't just go without pumping.

As far as MS4 baby vs in residency - we knew we wanted kids, and decided why not start "early". (Although 25 is hardly early to start a family in the real world) My husband and I are both residents and honestly taking care of a baby while an intern has not been that bad. But neither of us are in crazy hard specialties, YMMV

Either way, good luck! Babies are the best!

More
6 years 1 month ago #89216 by karon921
Thanks for the input ladies! I sure wish this was easier, but we'll find a way to make it work.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101mommd2b
Time to create page: 0.262 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!