× Family & Parenting

Eating Healthier/CSA

More
6 years 5 months ago #89507 by jonesie
We have tried "bountiful baskets" a few times - its national and in a lot of areas, and trues to use local. Sign up each week you want, once in a while, every week, whatever. Reasonably priced, and 2 boxes of strawberries last time :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #89517 by clee03m
I do a weekly delivery like Amma described during off season and CSA for about 14-18 weeks during harvest season.

Honestly, I think CSA would be rather stressful for a resident. It takes a lot of time to eat that much food prepared from scratch. Instead of using what you are used to, you are forced to get creative which takes up even more time. And you commit for a whole season. Very stressful to watch fresh stuff rot. If you have to pick your CSA up, that takes time. And depending on your and your partner's schedule, that can be tricky.

That being said, we love ours. This year we are adding a mushroom CSA. 2 lbs or fresh mushrooms per week for a whole season!!! Very exciting stuff. And we eat kale, zuchini, and chard by the pounds. Only wish we had pounds or strawberries!
Last Edit: 6 years 5 months ago by .

More
6 years 5 months ago #89520 by LoveBug14
We also do a modified CSA - which allows you to pick and choose what you want to some extent. The farm is even within walking distance from our house! I didn't know about it until I took time off, the stand is usually only out mid-day when I was always at the hospital or class. It's funny what happens when you have time to notice things around you.

On another note, kale pesto is insanely good and a great way to use up a ton of it :)

More
6 years 5 months ago #89527 by AmmaMD
One thing worth noting perhaps is that we don't cook all that creatively despite our varied vegetables - about 75% of the veggies get somehow sauteed/stir-fried (something halfway in between, really), a protein is added (tofu, chicken, shrimp or egg), a sauce is added (some mix of stuff we have that I can add with one hand while holding a baby) and we eat it over rice. And, the rest tend to go into a big soup. I've got about 3 soups I can do, and I just do them with whatever veggies I get. Once you have some recipes like this down, it gets much faster!

More
6 years 1 month ago #90646 by annie501
emily, how are things going with the chickens?
Last Edit: by .

More
6 years 1 week ago #90824 by kpzr/9145
So this summer, I did a meat share at our local CSA farm! I am vegetarian but my guys all eat meat. So every month we get four whole chickens (free range) and two pounds of steaks or ground beef (grass fed organic beef). The thing is, I was unprepared for having to cut up the chickens into parts myself if I did not want to roast an entire chicken. Hmm. And my guys are complaining because the birds are not as plump as the supermarket variety... but it definitely gets eaten up! I like the idea of grass fed beef. Especially having seen the feed lots in the Midwest!

My local CSA farm offers a plan where you put $300 down at the beginning of the season, then you pick your own veggies and fruit and get 10% off everything. That is what I am going to do next year!

kpzr

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101mommd2b
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!