× Family & Parenting

Eating Healthier/CSA

More
6 years 5 months ago #89475 by Emily2651
We have one; I like it. Ours only comes biweekly and I find it's gone by three or four days in ... def doesn't stretch for two weeks. I'm planning to up it to weekly.

Does anyone do a meat CSA? Or buy (part of) a cow/pig/lamb?

My next frontier for local eating: chickens in the backyard. I spend so much on eggs that I figure we'll at least break even and the dudes will love tending chickens (I think). I finally talked my hubs into building me a little coop/run. So excited. He nixed the bees, though. Compromises ...

The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea. -- Isak Dinesen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 5 months ago #89479 by kpzr/9145
Lots of people around here have their own chickens now. I would like a goat. For milk and cheese and to mow the lawn!

My retirement job is going to be a farm in Vermont with goats and vegetables and a farm stand. When I really get fantasizing, I picture my husband the chef of the restaurant on the farm! Oh well, can always dream!

kpzr

More
6 years 5 months ago #89481 by Baby Einstein
I gave up on the CSA because 1) I have picky eaters 2) I could never pick up on the right day with my work schedule 3) I got tired of getting 2 strawberries but 3lbs of kale. Maybe when residency is over. If I find one that doesn't fill my box with kale.

More
6 years 5 months ago #89482 by southernmd
We almost bought into a CSA a few years ago. I am seriously going to consider it again once I look at the options in my area of residency training soon.

Baby E - I literally laughed at your response. Love the honesty - what, strawberries and kale aren't equal to children? Shocking!

LOL

More
6 years 5 months ago #89483 by lyn2006
Yes, Baby E, I am so with you on point #3 - one reason I am excited to not have a CSA!!! I am thrilled to spend more money on extra strawberries at the farmstand and less swiss chard and zuccini :)

More
6 years 5 months ago #89505 by AmmaMD
We use a modified CSA - it's not a real subscription to a specific farm like we used to have when we lived in farm-country (which I also loved), but rather it draws from a number of sources. Recently upped from biweekly to weekly. Ours lets you customize somewhat - you can sub stuff in online a couple of days before it arrives, which is nice. Ours is delivered to our doorstep, so no issues with having to find time to pick it up. I like that it sort of forces us to eat enough veggies - and even that it kind of plans the dinners for us. I just cook through the veggies in order of how fast things go bad. Fewer decisions = happier me, at least for now!

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101mommd2b
Time to create page: 0.221 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!