× Family & Parenting

can you go 8 hours without pumping?

More
5 years 10 months ago #90067 by asunshine
Yup, same experience as southern's. I'd cut down my pumping, and my supply wouldn't bounce back. Maybe just 1 day per week would make it easier to recover, though. It maybe also won't be so bad once your baby was older and didn't need to get all of his/her nutrition from you, too.

Even one pumping session would make all the difference. You could still dictate/answer calls and pump at the same time, especially with a hands-free pump.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 10 months ago #90068 by AmmaMD
I wonder if maybe pumping just once a day wouldn't be that bad. I pumped q4-5h as an intern (back when we still worked 36h shifts) and it was fine - I just found a call room to pump in, so I could have a desk with a computer and phone, and I wrote notes / answered pages / looked up lab values / etc. I did this on ward rotations, ER rotations, you have it. In fact, it was rather productive time, since noone could come find me to interrupt me!

Also, this might sound odd, but - I found that I would get increasingly anxious / on edge the longer I'd gone without nursing or pumping, but once I pumped, I felt much better/calmer again. So honestly, I would not want to pick starting a new job as a time to quit! As everyone's said, though, everyone's body seems to be different, here....

More
5 years 10 months ago #90075 by PeggySue
Oh yes to Anna - I also would get anxious if I went too long without pumping. Even several months after stopping I still feel a little "on edge" sometimes during what were my usual pumping times.

And to echo those who mentioned working while pumping - a friend of mine who was pumping while a OB-Gyn intern would pump with a cover in their shared workroom while charting (!!!). So be comforted by the many women have gone before you!

More
5 years 10 months ago #90077 by southernmd
I once pumped at a concert with my cover. I'm convinced that with a cover - you can do it many places. Maybe not while doing an H&P, but ....other than that! LOL

More
5 years 10 months ago #90110 by ohiomommd
... I nursed in the Splash Zone at Sea World with a a cover. Off topic, sorry, but sharing the mental image was worth logging in :)

And as far as pumping for one day / week, I would consider scheduling a break for notes/ catch up / lunch and pump then. you'll worry less about baby, you can always drop it later if you don't need, and you won't worry about supply while you're at work.

Alternatively, I've hand-pumped a few times minutes, a few times per day when I only worked 1-2 days.(4th year med school!) That didn't bring home enough for baby to drink that day but it did keep up my nursing rhythm.

good luck!

More
5 years 10 months ago #90137 by espm
Thanks to all for your advice and support. Now I have another dilemma :( I left my son for 5 hours yesterday for orientation and he refused to drink from the bottle with the babysitter. I tried throughout the day to give him the bottle but he would just scream. His dad tried too without success. He is now 4 months old. I had been giving him bottles last month without problems! I guess this is just a sign that he is maturing but it's extremely stressful for me. I'm going to see if he will do better with a cup or even with a spoon, though he is still pretty young.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101mommd2b
Time to create page: 0.260 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!