× Family & Parenting

Getting rid of the night-time pull-up

More
6 years 4 months ago #90419 by nbp
DD turned 4 today (!!!). She has been completely daytime potty-trained for quite some time now, and virtually never has an accident, even if she falls asleep in the car or when she naps at school (sadly, she does not nap at home). However, she is still in pull-ups at night, and wakes up quite wet in the morning. I am wondering how best to go about getting rid of the pull-up, and when to do it. DD has mentioned recently that she wants to sleep without the pull-up (though she hasn't brought it up in the last two weeks). I don't know if she wakes up wet because she cannot hold it over night and doesn't wake up when she needs to go, or if it's more that she knows she can just pee in her pull-up and does that without fully waking up. I initially thought one was supposed to wait until their child was waking up dry (or almost dry) to stop using a pull-up, but I'm not sure that will ever happen for DD, or at least not in a reasonable time-frame (there was one night in the past couple months when she was completely dry, but we have not had a repeat). I will admit that part of the problem may be that she has water by her bed, but the idea of taking that away from her is really hard for me. I have water by my bed, too, and am frequently thirsty, and DD is quite attached to her water-bottle, so... I don't know. The other thing I hesitate about with trying to get rid of the pull-up is the knowledge that we will be waking up in the middle of the night quite frequently for a while, and doing lots of laundry, and... ugh!

Soooo.... how and when should we get started with this next step?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago #90423 by tr_
Hm. I admit I have no experience with this bc our ODD (who turned 4 a couple of weeks ago) spontaneously started waking up dry most mornings about a year ago, and completely refused to wear a pullup at night after that. She does wet the bed about once a month or so. We keep a puddle pad under her sheet.

However my understanding is that there is a huge degree of variation in this. We have two neighbors with girls a few years older than DD1 and they both slept in pullups until age 6 (close to 7 for one of them). I don't think either of their parents took any specific steps to night-train them.

I think if you are not willing to wait until this happens on its own (which could be years) then it probably would make sense to cut down on the PM water as a first step. Maybe you could keep her water bottle by the bathroom? So if she wakes up to get a drink she has to go in there anyway, and can take the opportunity to pee?

Also I'd definitely get a puddle pad for the bed. I think there are ones you can actually lay on top of the sheet so you don't even have to change the sheet most of the time.

More
6 years 4 months ago #90430 by nbp
Thanks TR. We have a waterproof mattress cover, and I had heard the suggestion of having two layers (i.e. mattress cover, sheet, mattress cover, sheet), so that after the first accident you can just take off the top layer and deal with it the next day without having to remake the bed. Of course this assumes only one accident, and since we only have two who knows what would happen if we had multiple accidents. I hadn't heard the puddle pad idea before, though I love the idea of being able to just put one on top of the sheet. I did some internet searching and all I came up with were infant products for cribs - do you have any specific product recommendations?

I like the idea of putting the water in the bathroom, though I do worry about it becoming a "thing" (our word for strategies we attempt to implement to make life easier that DD then devises whole schemes around). For example, we just recently started letting her get out of bed to go potty without calling out to us first. Now after we tuck her in, we can hear her get up 4 or 5 times before she settles in, and it is clear she is doing it to avoid laying in bed, not because she needs to pee that many times. I suppose there is some hope that with time the behavior will extinguish, though I have seen similar behaviors in the past go on indefinitely until we enact some drastic behavioral intervention. Perhaps this reflects on our parenting more than anything else?

Oh, and while I acknowledge that there is a great deal of variability in when kids are able to go dry at night, and I don't want to push DD to do something she is not ready to do, I would also like to get there sooner rather than later and worry that if I don't take any active steps to make it happen, things will stay as they are forever (well, obviously not, but you know what I mean), especially since she doesn't seem at all bothered by being in a wet pull up.

More
6 years 4 months ago #90439 by lyn2006
We were in a similar situation until about a month ago... Our son is almost 3 1/2 and had been daytime potty trained since before he was 2 - but was still wetting his diaper almost every night. We had talked about how he wanted to wear underwear at night (like his friend "J") but we said he needed to try to wake up and pee. Every night we'd tuck him in, tell him to call us if he needed to pee, and every night he'd sleep right till morning and have a wet diaper.

Then, completely accidentally, my husband forgot to put his diaper on one night and in the middle of the night our son came into our room and said he needed to pee. So he peed and was dry all night. So, I don't know if it's partly he had the security of a diaper and knew it was there even as he was asleep? He still has an accident about once every couple weeks, but we do the mattress cover, sheet, puddle pad (links below) and then usually can just pull the puddle pad off.

www.amazon.com/Summer-Infant-Ultimate-Tr...s=waterproof+bed+pad

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FEGUFA/ref=ox_ya_os_product

So, my point is, maybe just try it and see what happens? That's essentially what we did! Good luck!

More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #90441 by tr_

nbp wrote: I hadn't heard the puddle pad idea before, though I love the idea of being able to just put one on top of the sheet. I did some internet searching and all I came up with were infant products for cribs - do you have any specific product recommendations?

The thing we have is awesome but unfortunately the woman who made it went out of business (it is called a Nekkie Blankie, I'd totally get a bunch more if she were still making them).

That said there are tons of incontinence products out there. The bestseller on Amazon is 38"x52"

www.amazon.com/Priva-Ultra-Waterproof-Sh...erproof+mattress+pad

I just ordered a couple from Land's End for the other beds in our house as well (because DD1 occasionally still makes midnight guest appearances).

www.landsend.com/products/waterproof-mat...=128660126&source=GS

They were kind of pricey but they have PUL instead of the smelly vinyl stuff. I'll let you know how they work out.
Last Edit: 6 years 4 months ago by .

More
6 years 4 months ago #90442 by tr_

nbp wrote: I like the idea of putting the water in the bathroom, though I do worry about it becoming a "thing" (our word for strategies we attempt to implement to make life easier that DD then devises whole schemes around). For example, we just recently started letting her get out of bed to go potty without calling out to us first. Now after we tuck her in, we can hear her get up 4 or 5 times before she settles in, and it is clear she is doing it to avoid laying in bed, not because she needs to pee that many times. I suppose there is some hope that with time the behavior will extinguish, though I have seen similar behaviors in the past go on indefinitely until we enact some drastic behavioral intervention. Perhaps this reflects on our parenting more than anything else?

Well, I think all small children are immeasurably gifted at turning carefully crafted parenting approaches into 'a thing.' :)

That said, my approach to frequent/repeated potty requests was just to suck it up and grant them because I felt the potential downside of denying a legitimate need was worse than the potential downside of permitting some annoying monkey business.

Also I don't know if this will be useful/relevant/acceptable for you but my approach to DD1 getting out of bed after bedtime has been to let her know that if she is not tired, it is OK to look at her books with a small handheld light that she keeps by her bedside. It keeps her from getting out of bed and she is usually asleep in 5-10 minutes.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101mommd2b
Time to create page: 0.207 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!