× Family & Parenting

Parenthood - Timing and Regrets?

More
5 years 10 months ago #90834 by Docmomof4
I had four children all after residency. First at 31, then 33, 36,39. We pushed it a bit for 39, it's true, but the point is you can still have a big family and not do it during residency. Personally I can't imagine having had the life I have with residency in terms of kid activities and busy-ness. I have a non physician husband. I worked full time until kid #2 as an attending and that was tough-had to stay in hospital some weekends, he brought her to breastfeed. Her babyhood is a big blur. I couldn't imagine doing that as a resident. PLus we have the bonus of having extra income for babysitters and such.

So I say, it would depend what type of residency you do. It can be done but you will need a ton of support, and be prepared to miss things they do. If you are ok with that, then go for it in school/residency.

I don't mean to be a downer, just wanted to add the waiting perspective. I give the ladies on here who did it a lot of credit, but I could not have.

Also you should know the stats for students matching who graduate school then wait a year to go into match are pretty poor. If you want that extra year, definitely do it by extending.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101mommd2b
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!