× Family & Parenting

Glasses for Kids

More
5 years 4 months ago #94198 by mohm
Does anyone know if health insurance will cover the cost of glasses for children for esotropia? I'm having trouble finding anything online for children who are not low income, and I'm just wondering what to anticipate. Is it worth adding a kid to our vision plan?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago #94875 by SW to MD
It's so different for each plan. Our last plan covered the glasses as long as Peanut's doc wrote up why she needed them- she has 'malignant myopia'. Our current plan covers almost nothing, but the vision plan offered picks up most of the rest. Be careful about not selecting the vision plan if it is offered- I didn't realize that the general health plan through my residency wouldn't cover most vision issues bc of the availability of the 'vision' plan through the same company.

Good luck!

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy - MLKJ

More
5 years 2 months ago #94878 by mohm
Thanks, SW to MD. We ended up paying OOP for the glasses. I was actually considering not adding him to the vision plan and just continuing to pay OOP. I posted on another forum and it sounds like some people use a health savings account. The place where we got his glasses isn't covered by the vision plan offered. We went to another place covered by the vision plan in anticipation of adding him to the vision insurance later, and it was a very bad experience. I'm not sure what we'll do, but we have months to decide.

After a second visit, there is a possibility of surgery. He has improved with his glasses but not completely. I am overwhelmed with deciding whether to go forward with surgery if his next visit is the same or whether to get a second opinion. I feel like I'm making a very critical decision and unlike many things medical I feel like ophthalmology is so much more it's own world. Ugh. I know enough to be worried but not enough to feel like I know the best answer.

More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #95441 by debbieanderson
No,I don't think health insurance will cover the cost of glasses for children for esotropia. If there is a problem of glasses quality then you can check for kids glasses at Wholesale Sunglasses .I usually purchase glasses from there for my kids,as they are also suffering from low vision.
Last Edit: 4 years 10 months ago by debbieanderson.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101mommd2b
Time to create page: 0.177 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!