× Family & Parenting

Birth Control

More
5 years 4 months ago #94524 by becco
I have a Mirena and I am very happy with it. I miss the benefits of the pill for my complexion, but I love the hassle free contraception. With my schedule I would forget the pill now and then, and I hated that worry! I used to have heavy painful periods and now nothing. I will definitely get another one when it is time for this one to come out.

I am an OBGYN, and I put in lots of them and my patients are generally happy with them.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 4 months ago #94526 by Melbelle
I have had Mirena and Paragard. I am planning to go back to Paragard, as the Mirena made me moody! Before that I had Nuvaring, which I liked, but going from occasional hassle to totally hassle-free is lovely. :)

More
5 years 3 months ago #94556 by clee03m
I can't do hormones. So I am considering copper IUD, but the idea kind of freaks me out. I thought the latest thing was to remove all of the tubes and it decreases risk of ovarian cancer? Are you just not sure you are done? Honestly, I don't like the finality of sterilization. I wish there was a male contraceptive other than condoms.

More
5 years 3 months ago #94558 by tr_
I don't have time to look this up now but I thought the IUDs actually also decrease ovarian cancer risk? Not sure which IUD this applies to though, and presumably the study/studies would have been looking at older women who originally got the IUDs many years ago when they were different from what's on the market now.

More
5 years 3 months ago #94561 by English
I think iuds decrease cervical and endometrial CA but may increase ovarian CA. Not sure how though. I'm not sure about removing all the tubes but they say tubal ligation does decrease ovarian ca risk. I am done with having kids. I've thought of all possible scenarios-- if something happened to my hubby I still have no interest in having more kids. The only possible scenario is if in the next 5 years something would happen to either of my kids --- I know it's morbid, but these are the questions they ask when posing sterilization. Obviously you can't replace the loss of a child but I think I may regret something permanent then.

My hubby though is done with kids and ok to do a vasectomy but I figured since I'm going under the knife for the c-section then maybe kill 2 birds with one stone. I was considering Mirena but my OB says it would require dilating my cervix which she's not thrilled with. The other thing about the Mirena is that I heard there is irregular bleeding for the first 6 mos. Even if it's spotting, my period is 3 days long every mos-- I wouldn't want persistent spotting. I'm not a fan of hormones either, Clee.

More
5 years 3 months ago #94562 by clee03m
Isn't it easier to reverse a vesectomy than a tubal? But how do you feel about the possibility of pain syndrome associated with it? I have no idea what I am going to so. Abstinence? Just kidding. But I may choose that instead of condoms *shudder*

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101mommd2b
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!