× Family & Parenting

Bring baby to journal club?

More
4 years 9 months ago #95224 by clee03m
I want to go to our next journal club with a guest speaker. But after not seeing my baby all day, it is really hard for me to continue not seeing him and arrange pumping and stuff. Would it be unprofessional to bring my 2 month old and possibly breastfeed him there? High chance he might just sleep in my baby wrap.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago #95225 by sahmd
I would do it, but then I am pretty crunchy, too. Feeding him prophylactically before the meeting might be helpful. Your local colleagues are probably used to breastfeeding in public, living where you do, but if the guest speaker is visiting from elsewhere, you might want to consider discussing it with that person before the meeting, and maybe reassure him/her that you do not expect the baby to be disruptive and will step out if there is a problem.

More
4 years 9 months ago #95227 by AmmaMD
Unless there's something really high-profile going on (your super stuff department chair is going to be there... the speaker is also interviewing for a leadership position where you work...) I wouldn't even hesitate. I did this frequently with #2, and while there certainly may have been negative feedback noone dared say to my face, all I was able to perceive was significant support. And people certainly stated doing it more after me, too, so there couldn't have been that much grumbling I was missing....

More
4 years 9 months ago #95229 by clee03m
Tested it out at our vacation meeting. Told the gal who is in charge of journal clubs I intend to bring baby to it. She (heavily pregnant) said she she thought it would be fine. Paving way for professional woman one breastfeeding meeting at a time!

More
4 years 9 months ago #95230 by clee03m
On a brighter note, I got confirmation yesterday I am going 0.5 FTE. Woohoo!

More
4 years 9 months ago #95236 by lyn2006
I brought my newborn to a committee meeting as a resident (checked with the chair of the committee first) and at the end one male attending looked shocked when I stood up and was holding a newborn - he never noticed I had the baby or nursed him under a cover. (He was fine with it, just surprised.) I say go for it!!

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101mommd2b
Time to create page: 0.245 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!