× Family & Parenting

Pregnant in PGY1

More
4 years 4 months ago #95451 by caliobgyn27
I am currently 12 weeks pregnant and due in June of my intern year in Ob/Gyn of all things. Any advice on how to discuss this with my program director and chair, attendings, and other residents? I feel very unsure how to broach the topic with anyone at my program, including my advisor and my mentor attending. My program has a policy that one cannot take time off during June and July for vacations etc and I'm feeling stressed that everyone is going to hate me for this unless I find some way to mitigate the extra work for them. Unfortunately my program's overall schedule is very inflexible so I don't think I can change it around to have easier rotations in my last month or two. And to complicate the whole picture more, one of my 2nd year residents is due in April and may still be on maternity leave when I deliver.
Also, any tips on surviving the pregnancy? I already felt very stressed in my program with keeping up pace given how busy my program is but with all day "morning sickness" and just being incredibly tired all the time it is even harder. I don't know whether to try to work up until I go into labor or whether to try to take off time after 37 weeks before the baby is born. Not sure too how much to try to take off in total for maternity leave, especially given I have no family in the area to help with the baby and my husband works full time as a physician in another city already and cannot easily take off time.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 4 months ago #95452 by lyn2006
First of all congrats! Second, you need to set up a time to chat with your PD and tell them immediately. They need to know so they can plan around your due date. For my residency baby I told the PD as soon as we found out, even before my family because I was also due in June and worried about coverage. Your program will figure it out- maybe there will be some residents who are annoyed at picking up some extra work but don't worry about it! You are allowed to have a baby and there is never a good time in medicine.

Surviving the pregnancy is another issue - I was exhausted for the whole first trimester for all my pregnancies but it got better after that... I hope since you're at 12 weeks you will start to feel a little better soon! Try to eat snacks when you can, sit down when you can, etc.

For maternity leave, that is a very personal decision I think. Some people want to take a few months. I went back sooner but had a lot of help at home and didn't want to delay graduation by too much more time. I worked right up until the day I went into labor, which I think is pretty common among residents... if you start taking time off at 37 weeks you might have 4 weeks at home if the baby comes late and that's time you likely have to make up at the end of residency.

Good luck!

More
4 years 4 months ago #95453 by tr_

caliobgyn27 wrote: I am currently 12 weeks pregnant and due in June of my intern year in Ob/Gyn of all things. Any advice on how to discuss this with my program director and chair, attendings, and other residents? I feel very unsure how to broach the topic with anyone at my program, including my advisor and my mentor attending. My program has a policy that one cannot take time off during June and July for vacations etc and I'm feeling stressed that everyone is going to hate me for this unless I find some way to mitigate the extra work for them.

I know this feeling very well but the stress will be worse the longer you delay. I agree with lyn2006 that you should tell your PD immediately. One thing you can do is trade your June and July calls so you take more call during your pregnancy, this way you won't feel like you owe people for call coverage. Second and early third trimester are often much less draining than first trimester and the very end of third (YMMV of course) so that's not a bad time to pack in some call.

I don't know whether to try to work up until I go into labor or whether to try to take off time after 37 weeks before the baby is born.

Again, I'd discuss with your PD - it's possible they may ask you have a hard stop date so they can figure out coverage ahead of time. If not, personally I prefer to work up to the end so as to save my leave time for the baby, but this is a very individual decision.

Not sure too how much to try to take off in total for maternity leave, especially given I have no family in the area to help with the baby and my husband works full time as a physician in another city already and cannot easily take off time.

Wait, you're going to have a baby during your intern year, your husband lives elsewhere and you have no family in the area? What are your plans for child care after your maternity leave is over? Two nannies? Nanny plus au pair? Whatever it is, it would have to be in place before you go back, I think that would be the main factor to consider.

More
4 years 4 months ago #95466 by Administrator
Congrats and best of luck, caliobgyn27!

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101mommd2b
Time to create page: 0.217 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!