× Family & Parenting

Marriage to non spouse...how do you make it work?

More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #95547 by AlmostMSIV
I am an MSII married to a math PhD. I'm grateful we aren't always talking about medicine, but sometimes it might be nice to do so without starting from square one. Does anyone have any fun tips to offer on how to make this kind of conversation work? I feel like i can chat comfortably with him about his job, but when my turn comes, it's hard to sum it all up. Love him and want to be able to talk about my day - especially when it's interesting! Help!

It might also be that I see boards looming in June and am under an immense amount of pressure that I think he finds difficult to relate to... Ugh, boards, my least favorite word for now.
Last Edit: 4 years 10 months ago by AlmostMSIV.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Tarah

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #95549 by AmmaMD
Watch "Scrubs" together. Seriously.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Tarah

More
4 years 10 months ago #95551 by asunshine
Your husband probably picks up more than you realize. Mine is not at all in a medically-related field, but I used the term "borborygmi" in a sentence the other day, and he knew exactly what I was talking about.

Ask your husband what he's curious about, and then explain it to him. It's kinda fun, and helps you build your knowledge, too. You wouldn't believe the things people wonder about. (Text from my sister: "What is uterine leiomyoma? Can you die from that?")

Oh and we watched a TON of Scrubs. Have him scroll through whatshouldwecallmedicalschool, too. Sadly accurate.

More
4 years 10 months ago #95599 by tizziea
I'm in a similar boat with my fiancé. I've found with the medicine related conversations he often knows more than I give him credit for, and when he isn't familiar with the crazy lingo, you just explain it like you would to a patient. And, the more you tell him, the more he's gonna pick up on.

Personally, we have more problems because my fiancé doesn't comprehend the stress that medical school is. He sees it as just "more school" and doesn't understand why I'm not home as often and why I've been slacking at the "housewife" responsibilities.

More
4 years 9 months ago #95640 by Dr. Tarah
Hi everyone. I'm a 31 year_old general practitioner :whistle: . I recently got married to my fiancee ;) who is a microbiologist and heading a research department in a university affiliated hospital. I should say it wasn't my intention to marry a doctor exactly ,but i prefered hi was atleast in medical field so that i could share what i experiences with and hopefully he is eager to hear my stories and i enjoy it :P

More
4 years 8 months ago #95686 by els831
Since you are so early in your career, just invest in his knowledge base now and it will pay off for your whole life. I'm only an MSIII and have been talking to my husband about medicine since day one and he is already 100x more easily able to follow along. It's worth it to explain things and I also think it helps me to become a better future doctor in the process.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101mommd2b
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!