× Family & Parenting

TTC during PGY-1

More
4 years 3 months ago #95565 by jp061210
Hi everyone, I've been a long-time reader but have hardly posted here over the years. I've been reading since I was a pre-med and am now in my PGY-1 year. I've had mad baby fever since we got married almost 5 years ago but since hubs was in grad school too we decided to wait until we had incomes before starting a family. Once residency started we thought it would be wise to wait to start trying to get pregnant until a baby would not be due during my intern year. I was thrilled when we decided to start trying to conceive 3 months ago. No luck yet but I'm staying positive. However, I have been using ovulation prediction strips for the past 3 months and haven't seen a clear positive result. I am 27, normal weight and have no outward signs of PCOS but have had longer, irregular cycles for most of life. I had a copper IUD in for 4 years prior to TTCing so fertility should theoretically return immediately. I know most OB/Gyns (including mine) say to wait 1 year before looking into causes of infertility. But if I am using ovulation prediction kits and not seeing any clear positive ovulations I don't want to wait a whole year. What threshold should I have for calling my OB if I still don't see any ovulations over the next few months? I am trying to stay sane and balance my expectations between wanting to be pregnant yesterday and knowing it takes many people much more than 3 months to conceive :-) Thanks for any and all advice!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 months ago #95566 by lyn2006
My sister (who is also totally healthy, etc) tried for 6 months before getting pregnant and was starting to get worried. She was using the ovulation prediction kits and never had clear positives either. However, despite the negative ovulation tests she did get pregnant this past October (she was shocked!). She had called her OB and they said to make an appointment after 6 months instead of waiting for a year... maybe you could just call and ask what they think? Waiting until 6 months of trying is a little easier than a year...

More
4 years 3 months ago #95567 by jp061210
Thanks for the reply Lyn, it's encouraging to hear that your sister got pregnant despite never seeing a clear positive with the kits either! I think 6 months sounds like a reasonable time frame too. I'll call my Ob/gyn at that point if we're still not pregnant. Hoping for a sweet little blessing before that point so we don't even have to worry about it!!

More
4 years 3 months ago #95584 by Zeze'sMum
HUGS....I know how that baby fever burns like a wild fire.

I have 2 kids, got pregnant the first month of trying with each. What I did that worked for me is taking my basal body temperatures. I used something called "Ladycomp" and would start monitoring my temps and charting it on "my fertility friend" website. This gave me an accurate estimation of when I ovulated and I would aim for "baby sex" those days 3 days towards O and 3 days afterwards. Worked both times. I wish you all the best!

I can do all things through Christ; that includes being a mom, doctor and wife!

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101mommd2b
Time to create page: 0.214 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!