× Family & Parenting

Pregnancy during intern year

More
4 years 10 months ago #95785 by Grace
I'm a medicine prelim intern and currently 6 weeks into my first pregnancy. I'm super excited but nervous as I just started MICU and my schedule is pretty crazy..really long hours and switching constantly between days and nights. Also keep feeling really dizzy on long rounds. Any advice from someone who's been there would be great! Only 2 months of medicine though and then I start derm which will hopefully be more tolerable!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #95795 by BigRedDeal
Hey congrats! I'm pregnant with baby #2 and am also finishing up intern year. Drink lots of water and bring snacks. Tell your resident that you are pregnant and at times not feeling well. So if you need to step out of rounds, and sit down/drink water/eat a snack, you don't have to say much other than, "hey, I need to go sit down for a minute". If you have the same attending, I'd tell them too.

I had to step out of wards rounds once to grab a snack. I started feeling lightheaded and shakey. It wasn't a big deal. But drinking lots of water does really help!

Good luck!

More
4 years 8 months ago #95861 by MightyGrape
I was pregnant my intern year with #2 and made sue to drink plenty of water and have snacks ready (stuff like nuts, string cheese, grapes) so I could manage. I also sat during rounds as I had a nasty habit going vasovagal if I stood for long periods of time. Congrats on your pregnancy!

More
4 years 7 months ago #95912 by lolaMD
Congrats! Such an exciting time :) I had number 1 at the end of intern year. I did the double white-coat pocket method: one pocket for water bottle and the other for tons of snacks. The constant grazing and steady hydration was helpful with the morning sickness and dizziness. Also, I told my attendings I was pregnant and had not been feeling well, which helped for the couple times I needed to step out or sit down during rounds. Luckily second trimester is usually much easier, so hopefully you are starting to or will soon feel some relief!

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101mommd2b
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!