× Family & Parenting

Breast pump questions 4 my granddaughter's mother

More
4 years 4 months ago #95902 by AnnaM
I have a 2-month-old granddaughter via my son and his girlfriend. She was born at 35W5D due to severe IUGR and absent doppler flow, but has been doing quite well. Unfortunately, they were never able to get her to latch onto the breast, but her mom has been doing a great job pumping and feeding her from a bottle (I have the extra bags of breast milk that won't fit in their freezer down in my deep freeze). They had a Medela Symphony pump on loan from the hospital because she was a NICU baby, but the hospital wanted it back a couple of weeks ago, and now they are using a Medela Pump in Style that was given to them by a friend, but she says it hurts around the nipple and areola when she uses it. She's using the same collection funnels from the other pump, so it's not due to a change in shape or size of the funnels or anything. They called the lactation consultant at the hospital where she delivered, but her only suggestion was to call Medela. Does anyone on this board have any experience with either of these pumps or any suggestions? I haven't worked in the hospital (or anywhere) in 6 years, so I don't even know who the lactation consultants are in this town anymore.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 4 months ago #95903 by sahmd
Hi AnnaM! I don't have any experience with those pumps, but I am just wondering if she could rent a Symphony.

More
4 years 4 months ago #95904 by tr_
I just bought a new Pump in Style after my old Ameda (that had made it through two other kids) bit the dust. The suction is powerful. I find it very uncomfortable/borderline painful even on the lightest possible setting. However it really works. I have been getting a 4 oz bottle out in about 5 minutes (I used to have to pump 15-20 minutes for a bottle with the Ameda).

Sorry, this information probably isn't that helpful.

The only other thing I can think of is to make certain it is the pump that is the problem. Is it possible she has another issue that could cause nipple pain, like perhaps a yeast overgrowth on her nipples? I sometimes find that nursing is getting painful for no obvious reason; a day or two of frequent dilute vinegar rinses to the nipples takes care of the problem quickly.

More
3 years 11 months ago #96133 by op007
medela website has rental sites you can locate by zip code - you can rent a symphony - having used both symphony and pump in style. I much prefer symphony and wil even sometimes walk 10 min the the hospital I work at just to use the lactation room symphony

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101mommd2b
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!