× Family & Parenting

Family planning or residency training?

More
1 year 7 months ago - 1 year 7 months ago #96640 by smallserenity
Hi all, I am married and turning 31 soon, and would like to have 2 children before 35 years old. I am a qualified family physician from another country and is wondering if I should be applying for Family Residency to start in 2017.

If I start FM residency in 2017 and got pregnant before residency, will I be able to cope during the FM training with a newborn?

Alternatively, I could delay residency until I have given birth to at least 1 child, which may take 1-2 years. Will it affect my chance at getting a match at a good residency position with a gap in my resume?

Any recommendations or thoughts will be appreciated!
Last Edit: 1 year 7 months ago by smallserenity.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 7 months ago #96642 by sahmd
As for coping with parenthood during residency, I think it all depends on how much support you will have at home. If your husband is willing to be the primary parent, or if you have some other family members that want to play a big role in your children's lives, or if you can afford to hire lots of help, then it will be a lot easier than if you try to do everything yourself.

I don't know much about matching as a foreign graduate. My impression, though, is that it is very competitive. If that is true, then it might be best to avoid doing anything that might hurt your chances of matching.

Good luck!
The following user(s) said Thank You: smallserenity

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101mommd2b
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!