× Family & Parenting

Premed mom needing answers and guidance

More
3 weeks 1 day ago #140927 by Premedmomof3
Hello everyone,
I just signed up for this website, so I apologize that I’m probably asking the same question that has been asked hundreds of times. I tried asking a few question on studentdoctor.com, but I found it to be a little toxic, so I’m hoping for something better on here.
I am a 30 year old mom of three (ages 9, 6, and 4), married, and about to finish my bachelor’s in psychology. For 10 years I have dreamed of being a doctor for many reasons. As I know many of you understand, it can be daunting to think about having a career while still being a mother to your child. I often hear that you will hardly ever see your family in medical school. Is this true? I understand that I won’t be there for every little event, but I would at least like my children to feel like I’m making it for some of their events.
My husband is extremely supportive of my decision, is off on weekends, and is usually home by 5-6. He will be able to be there for the kids when I can’t be. I guess I’m looking for some mother’s who can shed some light on this. I still find it strange that I have two extreme sides to me. Part of me wants to always be there for my kids while another side is very career oriented. There has to be a compromise on this.
I would love to hear what some of you have to say, whether it’s insight, advice, guidance or all of the above. Thank you for your time, and I look forward to what is offered on her!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #140928 by sahmd
Hi Premedmomof3, sorry you got some toxic responses at the other site. This site has been a bit slow lately, but if you look around you may see earlier posts about other moms who have started medical school with multiple children. It is great that your husband is so supportive. That is very important. I did not have children before or during medical school, but I believe moms in medical school do see their kids and can attend some events but not everything.

I think most of us feel the conflict between wanting to be there for our kids and wanting to be successful in a career. I think it is safe to say that that is the reason for this website. :) There are so many solutions to this conflict, ranging from the mom staying home 100% to the mom devoting herself completely to every demand of medicine. Any of those solutions can be successful, depending on how much support you have at home, your kids' needs, your own attitudes, your financial resources, and choosing wisely when it comes to school, specialty, residency, and jobs. Sometimes circumstances change and you need to adjust. Medicine is not a very flexible profession but things may be improving a little. Still, you can't go into it expecting to go part-time right away, especially during med school and residency.

I hope you do get a chance to read some of the stories on here, to see what is possible and what to expect. Good luck!
The following user(s) said Thank You: elitej

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101mommd2b
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!