× Family & Parenting

Pregnant halfway through 4th year! Feeling anxious

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #141096 by Sxm18
I recently found out that I am pregnant. Initially I was thrilled, but then the dread set in ☹️. I’m halfway through my 4th year of medical school which means that I will be interviewing for residencies soon. I’m apprehensive because I feel like me being pregnant is going to be a turn off for several hospitals even though my due date would be on Match day which is 4 months before starting residency. Does anyone know if residencies are hesitant about hiring pregnant women since they are unsure if we will be able to commit to the residency? Also would it be wrong of me to not disclose my pregnancy to the program?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #141097 by sahmd
I am not a lawyer, but I believe it is illegal for residencies to discriminate against you because you are pregnant. However, it probably still happens, because people let their biases influence their decisions all the time.

I also believe you are not required to disclose your pregnancy during interviews, and I think it is common practice not to disclose it. This is for your protection against people who might otherwise discriminate against you. They are not allowed to ask you about pregnancy or related topics (unless you bring it up first).

And if you don't want people to find out you are pregnant, please make sure you are not using your real name as your username here!

Good luck with everything!

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #141099 by Sxm18
Thank you so much for your response. I genuienly appreciate the advice especially about the username! I was so anxious about getting answers that I didn’t even consider that when I initially made the account!
The following user(s) said Thank You: sahmd

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101mommd2b
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!