× Family & Parenting

4th year medical student with new baby worried about audition rotations

More
2 weeks 6 days ago #141375 by yogamom2be
Hello fellow mom MD's!

I just finished my 3rd year of medical school and had my firstborn daughter in July. I decided to take a year off in order to bond with her and do some research since I am trying for a competitive specialty (dermatology). Living in California, I know I have to cast my net far and wide to be considered for programs all across the U.S. As such, I am anxious about going on sub-i and audition rotations that will require me to travel for 3-4 months (likely out of state) during audition season. My daughter will be one year old at that time and if things go as planned I will likely still be partially breastfeeding her (she refuses the bottle). Any moms out there have advice on how to travel during audition rotation season with a one year old? Debating hiring a traveling nanny or putting her into daycares at each sub-i vs leaving her at home with my husband and hiring a nanny there. I can't bear the thought of leaving her for 3 months though! Either way it is going to be really tough. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 18 hours ago #141377 by sahmd
Hi yogamom2be, you are smart to cast your net far and wide with a competitive specialty. Do you have any family who could come with you on your rotations? That might be another option. If not, a traveling nanny sounds like it would give her better continuity than new nannies or daycares in each location. It would be hard to leave her at home with your husband, but you could even make that work by visiting a lot and Skyping (or whatever the current technology is). As for breastfeeding, she should be eating solids soon and drinking other liquids, so things may be quite different when she is one year old. You might want to wait and see about that: will she wean herself by then, or will she still be dependent on the bonding and/or nutrition of BF? You can always pump to build up a supply, but you will obviously need her with you for the bonding part :) Good luck, and I hope you find a solution that works for your family.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101mommd2b
Time to create page: 0.160 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!