× Family & Parenting

*The* Talk... About Sex

More
12 years 11 months ago #41502 by fearlessphoenix
ooooh yeah tenticles - My mom was teaching pre-school sunday school a few weeks ago and they were having a lesson about Noah and obedience. My mom decided it would be a great idea to go around and ask the kiddos which animal was their favorite and this kid (three years old) raised his hand and was waving it wildly and my mom called on him and he says "Miss Debbie! Miss Debbie! I LOVE octopuses!!" Thinking that was a creative choice my mom asks him why and he says because they have 8 testicles!!! If I had 8 testicles I would use them to tickle girls!" My mom about died trying not to laugh and told him they were tenticles and he gravely disagreed with her that they were indeed testicles his dad told him so :rotfl:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 11 months ago #41503 by Mitch
omg, that's hysterical!!!! I'll never look at an octopus the same way again!

My friend just had the "talk" with her daughter (almost 8)....Upon hearing the mechanics of sex, her daughter looked at her mom with disgust, and said, "Don't be ridiculous, Mom, people don't do that! I thought you'd tell me the truth!" and stomped off!! :rotfl:

Live, Love, Laugh

More
12 years 11 months ago #41504 by Lali
I can recommend the book "Talking to your kids about Sex from Toddlers to Preteens" by Lauri Berkenkamp and Steven Atkins. The "talk" should be a converation you have many times with your child, providing information that is age-approriate. When my girls (ages 4.5 and 7)ask me about how a baby gets in the mommy's tummy, they are interested in the mechanics and I try to give them a straightforward answer. They're not ready for abstract concepts about birds and bees or the whole emotional aspect. It's just another thing they're trying to figure out, like why do airplanes stay in the air. But it's also important for them to know that it's okay to ask these questions and that they canget an honest answer. I think kids are a lot more tolerant. We know several same-sex couples with adopted children and to our kids it's no big deal. I just tell them that some women love women and some men love men and because they can't make their own babies they have to adopt. To our kids it's just another piece of information without any emotional baggage attached to it. Maybe this will all change when they get older and everything becomes "gross", but at least we're having a dialogue now.

More
12 years 11 months ago #41505 by star
I had a little anatomy book for children (yeah, I started my interest young!) and for the life of me, I couldn't figure out the purpose of the male scrotum. I asked my mom, and I remember I was in second or third grade and my sister, who is 18 months younger than I, was in the bathtub with me. I don't think my mom wanted to tell my sister at that time, but I kept bugging her. So, she told us that sex is what married people do, she told me the mechanics of it, and that it's also where babies come from... and I asked if I could watch!! I can only imagine what was going through her mind :rotfl: My dad still laughs at my reaction.

Star

More
12 years 11 months ago #41506 by Doc201X
I haven't gone into detail about the "mechanics" of sex, this goes into that kind thing. What I told my daughter is that when a man and a women both finish college, they get married and to make a baby, they get really, really close to each other. The baby then grows in the Mom's uterus.

Now I'm kinda curious as to what other parents are telling thier kids, when you guys say you mention "mechanics' exactly what do you mean? And what age is giving details about the mechanics important? I'd kinda hate for my daugher to learn about "mechanics" they way I did. :laughing:

My Scientist/Physician Journey
www.Doc201X.blogspot.com

More
12 years 11 months ago #41507 by fearlessphoenix
mechanics: Tab "A" goes into Slot "B" etc. Our son was given "mechanics" in 4th grade. We wanted to tell him before school did and his daddy handled mechanics - I seem to be fielding the relationship curiousities -

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101mommd2b
Time to create page: 0.207 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!