× Family & Parenting

Decision time

More
12 years 6 months ago #41954 by rina33
I must decide between applying in pediatrics, and likely doing a NICU fellowship, vs. anesthesiology, and doing a pedi anesthesia fellowship. I am in the process of completing eras right now. I have a 4 month old son and am concerned about my career choice and family life. I know neither field is free of night/weekend call (and neither field is derm or radiology) but do any of you have an impression about whether one or the other would be better for a Mommy (both residency and after)? I think I have more love for neo but wonder if the lifestyle would just be too difficult. I've searched forums and posted a similar question in the past about different fields, but I am at the point of really needing some specific advice and personal opinions from Moms out there. Thanks in advance for your input- I'll take whatever I can get in terms of insight!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #41955 by Cabinbuilder
I think like anything in residency, it depends on the residency program. You are going to have nights/weekend call regardless of choice your intern year so trying to get out of that having an infant now isn't going to happen. I don't think you can go into it trying to find a "mommy" friendly field. YOU have to decide what you really enjoy. Pediatrics and anesthesia are 2 very different worlds. Your son is small enough he really isn't going to notice how much you are gone those first 3 years and won't remember much about it when he gets older. I say that since I have 2 kids and just finished intern year. So my advice is to follow your heart as far as career because medicine is hard enough that if you are miserable in your job it makes life that much uglier. I think we all worry too much about how the kids are going to turn out yet the rest of the world has their kids in day care and work full time jobs too. You manage and life goes on.

LECOM Class 2006
Osteopathic Family Practice Resdincy 2009
Locum Tenens: Urgent Care/Rural Medicine.

More
12 years 6 months ago #41956 by pazguata
I agree with the pp, anesthesia and pediatrics can be very different in some ways, especially in the residency training you will have to do, and in that regard you should really think about which you are more interested in. Pediatrics residency will involve a lot of primary care and outpatient work, while anesthesiology will involve a lot of OR and critical care time. That being said, if your ultimate goal is pediatric critical care, you CAN accomplish it through either residency. Anesthesiologists who go on to a peds fellowhship can run PICUs (my advisor and our peds anes chairman did) or just do peds anesthesia.
Now for your question about the difference in residencies. I can only truly speak to my own program. We anesthesia residents work days, we have a night team. You rotate on the night team for two week blocks twice a year (4 weeks total). We have 2 weekends off a month, the other weekends you work sat or sun. We work an avg of 60-65 hrs/wk. Our program is really on the cutting edge, teaching a lot of the newer nerve block techniques, and our hospital is big enough that we rotate through all poss surgeries. I'm very happy with my choice. I can't speak to many pediatrics programs, I do know that the residents here push 80hrs, but tend to work around 75-80/wk.
Our transition intern year is also very unique, we do a lot of consult service months to gain more experience in cards, pulm, neuro, etc for our complex anes cases and it's amazingly laid back for an intern year. But my understanding is that this is quite a rarity.
If you want to know more about applying to anesthesiology programs please feel free to message me.

More
12 years 6 months ago #41957 by pulpo
I don't know a whole lot about being a neonatologist, but the ones where I trained worked pretty hard. The previous posts are right in that you can do peds ICU via either anesthesia or pediatrics. I would recommend anesthesia and then peds anesthesia fellowship if you want. I think anesthesia would give you more flexibility and better lifestyle and remuneration for the On the other hand, if you choose to work your a-- off and make a lot of money, you can do that too in anesthesia. Good luck with your decision. ;)

More
12 years 6 months ago #41958 by aurora
Do pediatric anesthesiologists work in/run NICUs?

"A goal without a plan is just a wish." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

More
12 years 6 months ago #41959 by pazguata
No, peds anesthesiologists can work in/run PICUs and peds pain services, however NICUS are exclusive to neonatologists.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101mommd2b
Time to create page: 0.253 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!