× Family & Parenting

Decision time

More
12 years 5 months ago #41960 by rina33
Thanks for your replies.
I am double-applying because I just could not decide. I hope the interview process will clear things up. Basically, I feel my heart is with neonatology. But I get pangs of worry when I consider that I am choosing the less family-friendly lifestyle, as compared with anesthesiology. I don't think I would enjoy anesthesiology as much but am wondering if I can sacrifice some career satisfaction for a better schedule. I just love my son so much and am concerned about the long hours away from him as well as a lifetime of call with nicu. Did anyone else struggle with this "heart vs. lifestyle" choice I seem to be facing? If so, what decision did you make, and do you feel it was the right one? Any wisdom to offer as I go through the application process?
Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #41961 by notw_md_2b
I am struggling with a similar issue....I'm just starting pre-med but with my experience in EMS for 7 yrs I'm already considering what specialty I would like. I am thinking WAY ahead of time and trying to find a good balance of what will make me feel the most fullfilled for all the time, sacrifice and effort I will make in school and the importance of my relationship with my family (husband and daughter). One of the specialty choices I have is also anesthesiology for a few of the same reasons as you. But my passion ("heart"-no pun intended...) originates in cardiology-but I've heard stories that don't seem too family friendly. Maybe emergency medicine due to my experience in ER's and ambulances, but it's minimal work related thoughts compared to the difference of being a physician. Just thought I would let you know your not alone in your struggle....I know I can't offer specific advice, but just thought I'd share my story as well!! Good luck with your decision and I hope that the answer comes to you easily with no regrets!!!

"When your heart is in your dream, no request is too extreme!"

More
12 years 4 months ago #41962 by TexasRose
rina33,
I'm also very interested in Neonatology. I'm applying in Peds. I know several Neo fellows who have had kids during their residencies and fellowships. Like all Peds specialties, there are a lot of women in the practices and having kids is very well accepted. I've been told that there are many ways to practice Neo and that having a family should not deter anyone from the field. :)

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you."

More
12 years 4 months ago #41963 by rina33
Thanks all. I've decided to hold off on double-applying for now. I'm going for peds! And likely neonatology after that. I'm not totally eliminating the option of switching to anes after my peds intern year, but I couldn't bring myself to go through the double application process (it felt too insincere for me, telling both programs how committed I was to the field) and I'm just going with my heart for now. It's been such a tough, tough decision.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101mommd2b
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!