× Family & Parenting

Childcare arrangements?

More
17 years 1 month ago #43520 by mommd2b
What do you all do about childcare? I don't want to get involved in a full-time daycare/childminder situation for my 3 year old right now. I'll only be taking one class in the Fall just to get myself moving again. We're new to this community and we don't have a sitter even for evenings....any suggestions on finding someone for an hourly kind of thing during the day?

Kris

In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 1 month ago #43521 by spacecadet
How about a Mother's Day Out program? I work full-time so my son is in full-time daycare, but I know a lot of the SAHM's use the Mom's Day Out thing. I think it is like 3 hours a day twice a week? I'm not sure where you find them - local church maybe?

There's also a place near me that does hourly child care - it's called "Gimmie a Break". I was wary at first, but it's actually pretty nice. You have to fill out an appication and show shot records, etc, the first time. Also, they are usually full, but you could have a standing reservation to bring your kid in on certain days.

Hope this helps!

Pam

More
17 years 1 month ago #43522 by jessie
Sounds like you are what is being referred to as a "sequencing" woman. You might want to see if there is a group of "mothers and more" in your area. It's a group of women who have either left the work force or are working part-time, an opportunity to network in your new community. May be able to find local child care network through women you meet there. There is a website for the national group to find out if there is a local group for you.

More
17 years 1 month ago #43523 by MomMD
Mothers & More!! I'm a local leader for West LA Jessie, Are you a member?

President, MomMD<br />Connecting Women in Medicine - Welcome all physicians, resident physicians, medical students and premedical students!

More
17 years 1 month ago #43524 by CaLiGirL:)
i too am having childcare problems. it'll be a good 2 months until i start school and i have been searching now since may for good childcare around my area (i'm fairly new to this area).

all the childcares that i have found are either way too expensive, have 1yr+ waitlists, or do not meet my standards...i'm just like that when it comes to my daughter.

i have the option of leaving her with my mother monday-friday who lives about 1 hr away from me and see her on the weekends. i don't like that idea at all. i was accepted into UC Berkeley (up north from LA) and i might as well have just gone there if i knew this would be the situation. the sole purpose of me staying here in LA was to be here for my daughter.

any suggestions, advice? would appreciate it.

annie

More
17 years 1 month ago #43525 by mommd2b
Childcare is a really infuriating issue for me. My youngest is 3 1/2 and the only option in our area (MN) is preschool two days a week for two hours at a cost of $95/month. I didn't even bother to sign him up, because I figure by the time I drive him there, drive home, drive back to pick him up, park, etc....I will have wasted half of the time.

I want some time for me to take classes and figure out the direction of my life. I want some reliable OPTIONS! It is absolutely ridiculous that the other options are private childcare for $900/month or $28 for a 1/2 day. The other option is in-home childcare, but there are no part-time options.

It also bothers me (since I'm already on a rant :) ) that schools don't offer courses or labs at reasonable times. Very few schools offer any type of an evening course with a lab...and the day courses are ridiculous....Here is an orgo example from here....class is three days a week (MWF)from 10-10.50, then there is a requiored practical, problem-solving portion on one of the other days (let's say Tuesday)from 1-2.50...and then there is lab on Thursday from 1-4.50. Now...class I could manage with the kids...but I can't pay for childcare for three children for lab and practice......why can't they have labs that are in the mornings too? grrrrr

rant, rant, rant.. :)

Kris

In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101mommd2b
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!