× Family & Parenting

Help! How do I hire live in help--cheap?!

More
16 years 6 months ago #44052 by elisemomof3
Hello, I am a wife, mom of three, and a first year medical student. I desperately need help in order to manage my home, be a great mom, and be a high achiever in medical school. My husband works about 24/7 and can't help as much as he would like. The house is a disaster, my exams scores are suffering, and I feel like screaming 24 hours a day. I desperately need to hire someone to be live in help--preferably an immigrant who would desire such an arrangement. Does anyone, anyone, know how I can get started on this? I'm afraid if I don't get help ASAP that I will go from feeling like screaming 24/7, to actually screaming 24/7.

Yours,
Elise
Ohio State University College of Medicine :confused:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 6 months ago #44053 by Laramisa
What about a college student? (and lowered expectations about keeping the house clean)

More
16 years 6 months ago #44054 by elisemomof3
My standards are pretty low...I would like to reduce the clutter enough to be able to find underwear to wear, and to be able to walk through the house without falling down! Lol. I have thought of hiring a college student, but I need someone a little bit mature and stable (I don't want to keep changing helpers). Thanks so much for your advice! I love this group!

Yours,
Elise :D

More
16 years 6 months ago #44055 by Laramisa
Hi Elise-

I am interested to hear what people do in med school because I hope to start in 2004 and am a single mom with a 6 year old. I'm assuming I'll have to find someone to live-in too (at least for years 3&4 when the hours are more irregular), & am thinking about possible ways to organize this.

Currently I am trying to do everything myself to help save money. We try to clean one room every night - which works but the whole place is never clean. I also try not to cook during the week to avoid messing up the kitchen on work nights. (I cook on the weekend and microwave or we get on our bikes and go to the park for a picnic after work/school) My 6 year old is even trying to help by doing her own laundry. (she actually folds better than me). Maybe you could get the kids to pitch in - it teaches them responsibility. (how old?) We also make refrigerator charts each Sunday of tasks for the week and we both get stickers for completing our contribution!

I have always worked full time and re-adjusted my cleaning, shoppping, laundry and child care help arrangements several times - I try one thing for a while, then it stops working and I change. Sometimes the help is more work organizing that it's worth. My daughter is 6 and I've had 4 different cleaning/shopping helpers.

Oh, well. Good luck and let me know what works eventually.
:cool:
LM

More
16 years 6 months ago #44056 by Mary B-B ToBeDoc
I was going to start a thread on au pairs, but I'll put it here for now. So...does anyone have the name and contact info for au pair services? If you are using an au pair, live-in or otherwise, I'd love to hear the ups and downs of your experience(s). And what has the cost been? Thanks! --- Mary

More
16 years 6 months ago #44057 by MomMD
These are the results of a Yahoo search dir.yahoo.com/Business_and_Economy/Shopp...ces/Children/Child_C are/Au_Pairs/

Good luck!

Sethina

President, MomMD<br />Connecting Women in Medicine - Welcome all physicians, resident physicians, medical students and premedical students!

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101mommd2b
Time to create page: 0.254 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!