× Family & Parenting

Pregnancy book recommendation?

More
11 years 10 months ago #44190 by Emily2651
If you're considering a natural birth, the books by Henci Goer are fabulous. She wrote one, "The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth", for a lay audience. The same material is covered in much more depth in "Obstetrical Myths Versus Research Realities". The title is somewhat off-putting, I admit, but the book is just priceless. Far and away the most useful and important book I read while pregnant.

I didn't attend any in-person classes, so I can't comment on that, but I did use a self-hypnosis home study course (Hypnobabies) during my third trimester that proved to be remarkably useful. I credit that course with my fast and easy natural birth.

The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea. -- Isak Dinesen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 10 months ago #44191 by CanIM_Resident
Hey guys,
Thanks so much for the suggestions. I'm going to head to the library next week and check some of these out!

More
11 years 9 months ago #44192 by rositabean
I would second (or third) an endorsement for the Sears' books. They have a Pregnancy Book, and a Birth Book. Once baby is here they have several books that may be of interest regarding parenting issues. You can take a peek at askdrsears.com as they cover all the same issues (in less detail of course) on the website too.
I also endorse the Henci Goer books and you might also find Pushed by Jennifer Block an interesting read. There is also a website pushedbirth.com.

More
11 years 9 months ago #44193 by residentmom
I like What to Expect's Q&A format. I also LOVE "The pregnancy journal"- avail on amazon. I have used it for all 4 pregnancies and it is really fun to look back and compare them to each other. Also full of cool info about what's growing each day. It was recently revised and is even better now. :)

ResidentMom<br /><br />"If you bungle raising your children, I don't think whatever else you do well matters very much." --Jackie O.

More
11 years 9 months ago #44194 by rositabean
AH yes! How could I forget The Pregnancy Journal by christine harris. I used it for my 1st pregnancy and am using it now too. I do go back and compare my entries and the printed daily info is very interesting and informative.

More
11 years 9 months ago #44195 by lori
I really liked "The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy". Great book! Lots of chuckles. Nice light reading. I thought it was much better than the "What to Expect".

"Cure sometimes, Care always" <br />Dr. Robert Fogel. <br />"Go confidently in the direction of your dream. Live the life you have imagined". HD Thoreau

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101mommd2b
Time to create page: 0.205 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!