× Family & Parenting

Sick kid day care

More
12 years 1 week ago #44217 by hilseb
I hope this doesn't sound really callous.

My whole family has been sick lately. Mild virus, no fever, but with a lingering cough and runny nose. I have missed two days of lectures and one lab, didn't turn in an assignment (banging head on desk - it's not a big deal, but it was completed and it pisses me off) and my husband took a day off of work.

I am extremely lucky that my kids tend to be remarkably healthy, but they still get the occasional bug.

What are my best options for not missing multiple days of school? One of us will stay with them if they are really sick, but if it's just a nagging cough and they are energetic (my 3 year old kept asking me to play baseball with him and was running around the house the whole day) I have no problem going to school and letting someone else care for them, I just can't send them to their regular schools with a hacking cough and a constantly running nose.

Should I try to find a sick day care place? I have heard there are such things, but not in my area. I haven't searched well. Has anyone heard of one? I know that none of the residency programs in the immediate area offer daycare for their residents, so I have assumed that the local hospitals do not have day care.

I wish I knew someone near by that stayed home during the day and could take them in. I would be willing to pay. It couldn't be a high school kid, because they would be in school at the time.

<a href=" www.momstinfoilhat.com " target="_blank"> www.momstinfoilhat.com </a> <br /> <a href=" www.foodielovespicky.blogspot.com " target="_blank"> www.foodielovespicky.blogspot.com </a>

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 week ago #44218 by Baby Einstein
Ah if only all parents were like you. Everytime I drop off my son, there's at least one kid with runny nose and cough. Maybe they have allergies but I doubt it...

The U hospital here doesn't have regular childcare, but does have sick childcare. It's remarkably cheap ($7 an hour last time I checked). I've neverv used it.

Your other options are college students (maybe) or a nanny/babysitting agency. They do short-term (even just one day) placements but it will cost you big time.

More
12 years 1 week ago #44219 by hilseb
Thanks! I will try calling the hospitals first, and then look into the services.

<a href=" www.momstinfoilhat.com " target="_blank"> www.momstinfoilhat.com </a> <br /> <a href=" www.foodielovespicky.blogspot.com " target="_blank"> www.foodielovespicky.blogspot.com </a>

More
11 years 11 months ago #44220 by plum
I guess I feel like if I kept my 11-month out of daycare for a runny nose or cough she probably wouldn't have gone much from Thanksgiving-Now. I know it is ideal to keep them out but it is just not an option when neither hubby or I can miss much work/school and we have no family support where we are at. I keep her out if she is sick enough that she is not playful/acting herself or high fever. And obviously if she is vomiting/diarrhea.

I guess I have a wierd kid, the only way I can tell if she has ear infections is if she had a recent cold and then her appetite decreases, she plays and is in a good mood like always, even with nasty bilateral ones.

At our daycare they care for kids when they are mildly sick. I think they are reasonable about it, they basically feel like I do, if she can't do the things she normally does then she stays home.
It is nice. I remember I used to work with a girlfriend who's daycare would call all the time for every little sniffle.

My mom is an RN and we had to be mortally wounded/on the brink of death to miss school. Maybe I have the same attitude but so far it has been fine.

More
11 years 11 months ago #44221 by residentmom
Ha! My mom was like that, too, and not a medical person at all. Sometimes I want to find the mothers of my patients and explain how they SHOULD have trained these people in my office with "a fever of 99 degrees and I need a work note!" But I digress. There are several online services that will arrange trained, background checked, adult sitters on short notice, for a pretty reasonable cost (I think) given the notice and the training. I always have guilt about leaving a sick kid with a stranger, so usually one of us stays home. I also take my older 2 to the office to watch movies and color, which is not horrible if they are only mildly ill. The toddler definitely could not do this. In summary, search online. :)

ResidentMom<br /><br />"If you bungle raising your children, I don't think whatever else you do well matters very much." --Jackie O.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101mommd2b
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!