× Family & Parenting

Do You COOK?

More
16 years 11 months ago #44537 by Anki
Hi everyone! :)

I'm curious, what do you do when you get home late after an exhausting day and everybody including you is very hungry and wants food immediately? :tired: What do you usually eat during the week for dinner? Does your husband/anyone else help you by doing the shopping, cooking, dishwashing, or at least watching the kids while you prepare dinner?
I normally try to cook at least every other day, but I think this will be nearly impossible once I start residency. Unless you can give me some great advice. Please help!

Annkrisz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 11 months ago #44538 by Med4Mom
Slow-cooker (or crockpot) :yes:

Load it up in the morning, set it to low (if your day is very long, like it is for most of us), and off you go. When you get home... hot cooked meal. Only have to cook some quick pasta to go with it. If anyone is interested, I can post a couple of recipes, but there are also LOTS available online, just do a google search.

;)

More
16 years 11 months ago #44539 by lori
I have to say that the best invention in household appliances has to be the Crock Pot!!!! The best to buy are the ones that come with a ceramic insert. It is easy to prepare the meal the night before, store it in the ceramic insert in the frig, take it out about 1/2 hour prior (ceramic is prone to crack if not at room temp), set it on low and -low and behold- a wonderful homecooked meal awaits you when you arrive home. There are so many wonderful meals that can be made with little prep time.

These days, those "boxed kits" also come in handy. They may not be as nutricious as home cooking, but in a pinch, will do nicely (instead of greasy fast-food). Some brands I prefer are the "Oven Classic" types made by Better Crocker and Stove Top.

Another way to save time on cooking is when you do have time to cook, always double your recipe! Store leftovers in individual size portions in your freezer. The microwave can become one of your best friends.

Lastly, I subscibe to several different magazines. One of the best is a magazine called "Quick Cooking". The recipes are sent in by busy cooks. You get the chance to make nutricious and delicious meals in a fraction of the time. Definately worth the investment.

Hope this helps :)

"Cure sometimes, Care always" <br />Dr. Robert Fogel. <br />"Go confidently in the direction of your dream. Live the life you have imagined". HD Thoreau

More
16 years 11 months ago #44540 by rockfever
I cook my meals for the week over the weekend and freeze or refrigerate. When i go to med school, I'll probably cook enough to last a few months.

More
16 years 11 months ago #44541 by Anki
Mimicat, or Lori or anyone else professional in crock pot-cooking, I'm VERY interested in recipes! There are too many recipes on the internet and I have no idea which one is easy and safe and rewarding enough for a beginner to try :) I've never before used a crockpot, nor anyone in my family... One of my grandmothers used to cook in a slow-cooker all the time, but she's not any more in this world to share her recipes with me :no:
If you could post a few selected recipes (or links to them) here, it would be great!
Lori, does that Quick Cooking magazine you like have a website?
Bermiegal: a few moths?? Wow, you will need a HUGE freezer! :)

More
16 years 11 months ago #44542 by efex101
Okay here is a really really easy crock pot recipe. Buy a roast (any will do) and pour over it a can of cream of mushroom, add some potatoes, carrots, celery, whatever is in the fridge. Cook on low all day.

Another one is the same thing as above but with a whole chicken.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101mommd2b
Time to create page: 0.202 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!