× Family & Parenting

Do You COOK?

More
16 years 11 months ago #44561 by psych
Wow, wish I had seen THIS before. I did great at cooking when I only had 1 kid and was a resident -- I would make 2 or 3 casseroles on the weekends and we'd just reheat during the week. Although I'm now in practice and only "work" (ie see patients) 4 days a week, I now have 2 kids and just haven't figured out how to do the cooking thing since I had my daughter. I get home with both kids between 4 and 5 and they are always hungry, so I do a kid meal with them right away which is not ideal because it's easy kid food like fish sticks or hot dogs but not probably the healthiest options. And I eat with them, and then with my husband around 7pm, and by then I'm usually not in the mood to cook much so it's leftover whatever or sometimes sandwiches. I love the magazine Cooking Light but haven't figured out how to organize myself on the weekends to plan the menus and get the shopping done. I keep hoping it will get better but my daughter is 19 months old now and no improvement yet ...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 11 months ago #44562 by MelissaGray

Originally posted by annkrisz:

Bermiegal: a few moths?? Wow, you will need a HUGE freezer! :)

This is what I do and it doesn't take an extra freezer. I divide the food into family-sized servings and put it into ziplock bags. Get all of the air out and freeze them flat--you can stack them and they don't take up much room. I also get really wide foil, line an 8 x 8 baking dish, make a casserole in it, freeze it, then remove the foil-wrapped casserole from the dish so that I can use the dish again. When I'm ready to use the casserole, I stick it (foil and all) in the same casserole dish and bake it. That way I can have a few casseroles waiting in the freezer without losing my dishes.

More
15 years 1 week ago #44563 by sisriver
it took me awhile to try but I made the sesame crockpot chicken and it was yummy, thanks!

More
15 years 1 week ago #44564 by fearlessphoenix
I also buy 10-15 lbs of ground beef when on sale and cook it all at once and put it unseasoned into Ziplock bags by the half pound premeasured. I buy 8-10 whole chickens and roast them all at once in my giant roaster pan and then cool them in the fridge and as a family we de-bone chicken for 2 hours (first one done with their chickens gets to pick out Sunday dinner) and also ziploc bag them by the pound and freeze them. This sounds tedious but we only have to do it every other month or so. I have made up three months of menus on the computer in the old days and a standard shopping list for each month and we rotate them. When kool-aid goes on sale in the summer for 5 cents a package we end up buying close to 200 packs which lasts us all year. Except for milk and fresh veggies we only have to go the store once a month for most of the shopping and with few exceptions (peanut butter and the occaisional frozen pizza being the main exceptions) I always buy generic or also do the Aldi's thing. No matter who's home at night everyone can "start dinner". I also make and freeze lots of soups, chicken and rice, chicken and dumplings, jambalaya, beef stew, meatball stew, the list goes on and on. We eat alot of things out of boxes and love pasta also-canned veggies are our friend!

I'm not suzy homemaker-the rest of the house and laundry (I detest laundry) could quickly take over if it weren't for DH but I'm an enthusiastic and eager beaver in the kitchen-I love to eat and I love to eat on time.
:twocents:
PS: My aunt bought us a "Smart Crock Pot" for a wedding gift-the thing turns itself on and off-It's my best friend!!! I love the Crockpot

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101mommd2b
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!