× Family & Parenting

"teenage mothers"

More
15 years 1 month ago #44782 by momcat
Hi. Was anyone else here a young mother? I have noticed that even if you were not officially a "teen" when you gave birth, becoming a mother even in your early twenties has made some mothers the object of the "babies having babies" looks and unwanted comments. If so, any advice on ways to deal with that discrimination(I know no better word for what young mothers must deal with)? Has this come up in any way in your dealings with medical schools?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 month ago #44783 by EKM
I had my first son at 20 and the second at 21. I have been called anything from a welfare rat to probably other mean things, I can't remember them all. I do look young though. Maybe younger than I am, I don't know. Ask wannabeMD on here, she has seen me. lol
I just have learned to do my thing and ignore people like that. I love my kids, and I want more eventually, and if that bothers people well, then they have a little too much time on their hands to be worried about people other than themselves.
I get looks of astonishment in school when I tell people I have 2 kids. I guess because maybe I don't look very old and I am young, I don't know. But, it is hard for me sometimes to sit and listen to other students talking about Partying and buying $350 purses. Sometimes I want to smack them. Oh, well...thats their life I guess. Mine is different and I wouldn't change it for the world. :)

More
15 years 1 month ago #44784 by PremedRN
I had my first right after I turned 18. I hadnt even graduated from HS yet, I did go straight to college (off campus) and all that. I have never recieved any negative comments, but I have not applied to med school yet. I was kind of wondering how Id be looked at. It could be good or bad. I did kind of think that my dtr's pediatrician assumed I didnt know how to be a mother since I was soo young (switched to another ped not too long after that) but I knew from the day I found out I was pregnant what my priorities would be--my child. I am/was a better mother that a lot of people in their 30's that I know. So much for that stereotype of being a young mother means being a bad one.

More
15 years 1 month ago #44785 by sisriver
There was a nice article in Brain Child recently about teen moms - that challenged the usual stereotypes and media coverage on the subject.

More
15 years 1 month ago #44786 by grateful
not a teen mom but my girl will be heading off to college in about 8 years... and I am 32. I actually have never had anyone blink with those statistics - its the 2x married that gets them :eek:

I actually consider my stats in the child area a plus since the younger years are past me now and when I do finally graduate from med school, I will have an empty nest going on to some degree.

More
15 years 1 month ago #44787 by medstudent2008
I became pregnant at 16. I've always been an over-achiever, so I had enough credits to skip my senoir year and graduate before my son was born. I started college when he was four months old and still nursing (more proof that teen mom = bad mom is not true). Well here am a first year med student and my son will be seven next month. I have a class of 280 students and when we were all gathered in Indy for orientation there was a student discussion panel. A 32 year-old-man, married with children, was on the panel talking about being a non-trad. student. He asked how many were married. About a third of the class rose their hands. With kids? Half the hands dropped. He moved on. During the Q and A session, I informed him that he forgot to ask for a show of hands of single parents and I asked if there are there any others. I rose my hand. I was the only one in my class! Everyone is really cool with me though. I'm at a center so there are only 17 other people that I see day to day. I only interviewed at one school but they seemed to be impressed by my scholastic achievements, MCAT scores, volunteer experiances, and the fact that I did it as a single teen mother.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101mommd2b
Time to create page: 0.214 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!