× Family & Parenting

"teenage mothers"

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #44788 by CaliMD
First of all, congratulations to all of the successful ladies here!

You know, it often seems that folks think that it is "open season" to offer unsolicited comments about a woman's childbearing or marital status.

On the other spectrum of the childbearing issue, some of my youthful looking 40 year old friends have had their first child and might get comments as to whether they are caring for a grandchild! Other ladies I know, despite years of marriage, have struggled with infertility and get "grilled" about why they still are childless.

Well, not meaning to get entirely off topic, I just felt like posting some of my own observations.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #44789 by Harry's_Mom
I was not at all a teen mother when I had my son 2.5 years ago - but it sure was difficult. The very transition from the free spirited, party going, achieved professional, who is having a baby at ripe age of 30 - seemed very odd to many people who knew me, and I fell under their influence. It took me 2 whole years to get back my sanity, accept disturned sleep pattern, quit my corporate job which made me sick to my stomach, accept sagging breasts and enlarged abdomen ( yes, it stayed kinda big after my 10 pounder came out).

Thus, I commend teen mothers and all of those who have had courage to have kids early on in their lives. There is no way a child can make you anything but better - more patient, more loving, more caring and somewhat more vulnerable.

Perhaps naively, I view my being a parent as a big plus in my application to medical school. It makes me feel complete as a person, makes me feel accomplished,and makes me real to myself ( let's not get political now and think that I am saying that those without children are neither of these things - that is ludicrous). All I am saying, is that motherhood made me aware of what truly matters the most - my son's smile and hugs.

After all, moms make the best doctors!

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #44790 by EKM

After all, moms make the best doctors!

I agree with that statement completely! Mom's and Dad's do make the best doctors! :) :yes:

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #44791 by CaLiGirL:)

Originally posted by momcat:
Hi. Was anyone else here a young mother? I have noticed that even if you were not officially a "teen" when you gave birth, becoming a mother even in your early twenties has made some mothers the object of the "babies having babies" looks and unwanted comments. If so, any advice on ways to deal with that discrimination(I know no better word for what young mothers must deal with)? Has this come up in any way in your dealings with medical schools?

I had my daughter when I was not quite 19 years old yet... and I've heard the phrase, "baby had a baby", many times before. I've also had wierd looks and comments said to me. How did I deal with those? I just ignored them... flat out. If I were to let it bother me, then my life would've been hell. I've had ppl try to discourage me from not only persuing medicine, but from taking a science major, etc... at times, it can get very trying to just shrug what these ppl say, when many times, these ppl can be your very own academic counselors, your aunt, a good friend...

I've learned to turn a cold shoulders to those comments as well. I may have decided to put medicine aside for now, for good reason, but being a young mother has certainly not impeded my path to where I am today. It probably won't in the future, either. I'm actually quite fond of being a young mom. There are, in my opinion, alot of positive aspects to it.

More
15 years 1 week ago #44792 by CoolMommy
I had my son when i was 18 and had just graduated high school. I love being a mother and i could never picture myself waiting until later in life to have children(but also wasn't planning to start so soon!) I have yet to encounter people telling me that I can't do something because I am young or because I'm a mother. I never thought being a teenage mother that I could actually go to med school, but then I found this site and it has been done!

To all the other mothers out there you can be a good mom AND a good doctor! :yes:

Because of my experience I am interesed in FP or peds, so I can help teen girls with preventative measures (STDs,pregnancy)

More
15 years 1 week ago #44793 by Dr2be
Hello everyone :wave:

I am 22 years old and married with two children, a girl 1 and a boy 3. I had just turned 19 when I had my son. I love everything about being a mom. I love taking them places and getting them involved in things. It's truly a blessing. And for people that criticise young mothers: I don't know why some people in this world have to put others down in order to make a point or make themselves feel better. It is beyond me how someone can get enjoyment out of that. I say just ignore them. Live your life according to your standards only. I want you all to know that I admire all of you so much. I have only been a member of Mommd since early august but I have learned so much and gained a lot of confidence in my future as a physician. Keep it up ladies! :goodvibes: Sounds like I am in the midst of some smart, courageous, go-getters! God Bless...

God Bless...

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101mommd2b
Time to create page: 0.197 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!