× Family & Parenting

4 month old's naps

More
12 years 2 months ago #45011 by siflower
I am very lucky in that my baby (4 months next week) is a great sleeper at night. She has slept 6 hours straight from 6 weeks onward. Now she goes to sleep by 8 pm and wakes up at 5am, just to eat, then goes back to sleep until 7 or 8 am! In the beginning of the night, she occasssionally cries for her pacifier to be put back in but then usually does well for the remainder of the night.

However, she is not a good napper. Here's the routine: She'll be obviously sleepy. We rock her to sleep, or sometimes she'll fall asleep on her own in her crib. 5 minutes later, she cries, we put her paci back in, and she'll go back to sleep. 5 minutes later, same thing. 10 minutes later, same thing. And again. After 40 minutes total, she'll cry and refuse the pacifier. Then she'll flash us a big irresistible smile-- :D -- obviously showing us that she has no interest in going back to sleep!

I think I've read that babies this age should sleep 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours during naps, but that rarely happens with her. She rarely gets more than 20 minutes of naptime that's uninterrupted.

Any advice? Or should I just count my blessings since she does so well at night?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago #45012 by siflower
BTW, when do babies learn to find/put their own paci's back in? I am soooo looking forward to that day!

More
12 years 2 months ago #45013 by Baby Einstein
Mine never took the pacifier at all, but he did sleep a lot better once he started sucking his thumb (around 2-3 months if I remember correctly). He did sleep around 2 hours per nap. He also stopped doing it on his own around 18 months, and now (24 months) only sucks his thumb when he's really distressed, or as he falls asleep. But she's probably too used to the paci to switch now...

Do you think she wakes up because it's more noisy in the day? Maybe you can try a white noise machine. Is it dark enough in her room? Can you get darker blinds? Sorry, I don't have any other ideas, but good luck!

More
12 years 2 months ago #45014 by alkatz
you sound like you have my son! since 3 months he slept great at night and was never good at day napping! we resorted to a baby swing during the day to elongate nappy times. now he is 6 months old, sleeps from 7pm to 6am, takes 3 half hour naps and is a joy! i guess as long as he is not fussy and sleep deprived, be happy you get the sleep at night!

The test of courage comes when we are in the minority. The test of tolerance comes when we are in the majority. - Ralph W. Sockman

More
12 years 1 month ago #45015 by RMae
Sounds like my daughter, who is almost 3 mos. She sleeps so well at night with a pretty regular bedtime, but we can't seem to figure out naptime. She likes her pacifier, but it falls out when she falls asleep, then she wakes up a little later and wants it again. We started giving her a pacifier because it seemed to help her with her reflux, but I hope she doesn't get too dependent. She doesn't usually need it at night.

I've found that she often sleeps better when she's swaddled, so that she can't wiggle and wake herself up. Also, a dark room seems to help. Despite all that, she still often doesn't nap well. It's not usually a problem unless she gets too tired and starts screaming and can't calm herself down. Right now I'm just happy we can all sleep at night.

More
12 years 1 month ago #45016 by amf77
It must have to do with the good night sleeping...looks like we're all the same way. Our 3-mo old son sleeps like a champ all night (11pm to 8am), but only sleeps for about half hour naps, usually 1 1/2 hours after he's finished eating. I was wondering about this myself...

Couldn't agree more about the pacifier issues - we are eagerly anticipating the day he figures out how to put the pacifier back in his mouth or finds his thumb...

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101mommd2b
Time to create page: 0.221 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!