× Family & Parenting

BabyGirl is 3 weeks today!

More
11 years 3 months ago #45021 by babylove
Baby Girl arrived 1 week early and is 3 weeks old today! She is gorgeous and healthy. Labor was quick and uneventful. The recovery is going slowly but surely--still hurts to just sit down!! I was totally unprepared for that!

We've been taking lovely strolls and ate out at our first restaurant today!

I'm already freaked out about returning to rotations in 5 weeks--on surgery no less. I'm going to be a crying, leaking mess. How have you mama's dealt with this? Even if I took more time off, I'd just be delaying the inevitable...so might as well get it over with and be on with it, right?

I guess I should just put it out of my mind and enjoy the time I have off with her now.....

She's so cute--I can't stop staring at her still!! :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 months ago #45022 by asunshine
Congrats congrats! I still have that super-proud feeling--you know, like the beginning of the Lion King where Rafiki is holding Simba up to the rising sun? Like that.

Way to go for getting out there in public with your baby. This really is a special time.

If it's any consolation, I'll be a crying, leaking mess starting next week. I'll let you know if I think of any ways to make it easier....

More
11 years 3 months ago #45023 by mamabear
Congratulations, babylove!

DH and I called it "Baby TV" we just stared and stared all day, all night at our little one! Enjoy this magical time!

I'm only premed, so I can't fully comment on your conundrum, but as a mom to a now 25 month old, who chose to be a SAHM over work, I wanted to ask --

Have you considered taking any more time off if for no other reason than that infants grow and change so quickly -- while training can be deferred, this time in your baby's life cannot. Would you regret NOT taking time off down the road? I only ask because I know how wonderful and amazing the first couple of years can be watching Baby TV. Medicine is important, but so is life. If medicine IS your life, go for it. But, if you plan on enjoying your own life along the way, I hope you take some time over the next 5 weeks and think about spending some more time getting to know your babe.

You are the world to your infant. And you will be the one to know your baby best. Will you be ready to hand your baby to someone else so soon?

Just thoughts. I'm sure you will do what's best for you and your family.

Part of this response comes from my daughter's pediatrician's response to my asking her about shadowing. She said to me, "You want to go to medical school? Why? You'll miss out on your children's lives! In a hundred years from now, will you be thinking about medicine or about what you did for your children? Unless you can't live without being a doctor, I wouldn't do it."

And she has an in-demand part-time practice so that she can spend time with her children, but she says that she still struggles with balance! And she waited until after her training to become a mom!

Enjoy your special Baby TV and good luck with your transition back whenever it may be!

mamabear

"To see a world in a grain of sand,<br />And a heaven in a wild flower,<br />Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,<br />And eternity in an hour." - William Blake

More
11 years 3 months ago #45024 by 2thmom
babylove,
Congratulations! I just returned to residency last Friday and couldn't make it through an hour without crying. It was by far the worst day of my life. This weekend I had made the decision to not finish to spend more time with my daughter (who is 13 weeks today). But, I forced myself to give it a full week and it is slightly better each day. You will need to make the decision that is right for you, but if you decide to stay someday your child will be proud of what you did and you will have much more control over your life once residency is over. I'm going to try to stick it out and make the best of our time together - later bedtimes and concentrating on our weekends together. To me, it is worth it to be able to be in control of my career (and the hours I'm willing to put in) down the line when she needs me most as long as she is loved and taken care of right now. It's gut-wrenching to know that I could be home watching her coo and smile, but I know as soon as I get home she'll give me a big smile! Enjoy every last minute of your leave and know you're not giving her up once you go back - you'll just make all of your time with her count!

More
11 years 3 months ago #45025 by kpzr/9145
TO GIVE YOU GUYS IN TRAINING SOME IDEA OF WHAT YOUR FUTURE HOLDS: MEDICINE IS REALLY NOT A BAD CAREER FOR THOSE WHO WANT TO SPEND TIME WITH THEIR FAMILIES - IF YOU WORK PART TIME. I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO HAVE A GOOD AMOUNT OF FLEXIBILITY - GO IN LATE WHEN THERE IS AN EVENT AT SCHOOL, ETC AND I ONLY WORK TWO DAYS PER WEEK SO I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO CHAPERONE ALMOST EVERY FIELD TRIP. I AM A CUB SCOUT LEADER (FOR BOTH MY SONS' DENS!) I ACTUALLY WORK LESS THAN JUST ABOUT EVERY MOM IN MY NEIGHBORHOOD. AND GET PAID MORE, FOR SURE.
SO, OVERALL IT HAS BEEN A GOOD CAREER CHOICE. I FEEL I AM HOME/AVAILABLE FOR MY KIDS A LOT.

kpzr

More
11 years 3 months ago #45026 by babylove
asunshine---LOL, its totally like the lion king! funny thing is, i always got all misty-eyed at that part, anyways. i'm such a sap..
good luck returning next week, let us know how it goes...I'm wishing for you nerves of steel!

mamabear-
i've considered taking more time, however i really do feel like it is delaying the inevitable...i started med school at 27 and husband is 9 yrs older than me, so really wasn't an option to wait to start a family. there would really be no better time. in the future, if i don't make an actual dr's paycheck, i'll never pay off the OBSCENE amount of loans i have! besides, i really do want to be a practicing physician...i just periodically become rather downtrodden by how grueling the path is. for a field that deals with health matters, why is it that no one considers the health of the doctors, residents, and students? makes no sense to me.

i thought that if i took another year off, i would actually be making the transition harder on all of us. this way, this is her schedule and this is all she knows and it is normal for her. then, when she is older, i will (hopefully by then) be an attending, and hence more control over my schedule.

KPZR-thanks for the encouragement and the light at the end of the tunnel!

2thmom-thanks for sharing! i feel your pain, and wish you luck as you adjust. right now, i'm with you on putting the time in now, so the future schedule is better...

my husbands schedule is much more flexible, and my mom will watch her one day a week. so she will be at daycare, 3-4 days/wk. i'm just sad that on the days i work, i most likely won't see her since she'll be sleeping when i leave in the morning and by the time i get back. :(

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101mommd2b
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!