× Family & Parenting

General Clomid Info Needed

More
12 years 3 days ago #45771 by sargasso
I found this on emedicine;
Clomiphene citrate (Clomid, Serophene)

CC is a nonsteroidal estrogen capable of interacting with estrogen receptor–binding proteins in a manner similar to estrogen but in a more prolonged way (Clark, 1974; Clark 1981). Therefore, CC behaves similar to an antiestrogen.

CC has been in clinical use since the early 1960s. Its mechanism of action is still not well understood, but it competes for the estrogen receptor at the hypothalamus, pituitary, and ovarian levels. Because of the action at the estrogen-receptor level within the hypothalamus, CC alleviates the negative feedback effect exerted by endogenous estrogens (Tobias, 1981; Adashi, 1984; Kokia, 1990). As a result, CC normalizes the GnRH release; therefore, the secretion of FSH and LH is capable of normalized follicular recruitment, selection, and development to reestablish the normal process of ovulation (Tobias, 1981; Miyake, 1983).

The standard dose of CC is 50 mg PO qd for 5 days, starting on the fifth menstrual cycle day or after progestin-induced bleeding. As an antiestrogen, CC requires that the patient have some circulating estrogen levels; otherwise, the patient will not respond to the treatment. The CC response is monitored using pelvic ultrasound starting on the 12th menstrual cycle day. The follicle should develop to a diameter of 23-24 mm before a spontaneous LH surge occurs.

BBT can be used to observe the thermogenic shift (temperature rises 0.5°F above the basal level) induced by the early secretion of progesterone. The only disadvantage with BBT is that in many instances, the shift does not occur in a clear way, and the patient misses the time of ovulation. While BBT is an inexpensive way to monitor ovulation, it is often impractical.

Urinary monitoring of the LH surge (eg, with an LH Predictor Kit) can be a substitute for BBT. The patient should start monitoring the urinary LH secretion daily starting on the 12th menstrual cycle day. Ovulation usually occurs within the 32-40 hours after the indicative color change. Serum LH determination is more precise, especially when performed in combination with pelvic ultrasound. A postovulatory ultrasound should be performed during the first CC cycle to exclude the presence of LUF syndrome.

Because of the antiestrogenic effect, CC may desiccate the cervical mucus, creating an iatrogenic cervical factor that can be responsible for the lack of pregnancy in a patient who has otherwise ovulated (Shirai, 1972). Therefore, a PCT must be performed during the first CC cycle and every time the doses of CC are increased. Other adverse effects associated with CC are hot flashes, scotomas, dryness of the vagina, headache, and ovarian hyperstimulation, which, although rare, has been reported in patients who are sensitive to CC (Southam, 1962; Scommegna, 1969). Whether the use of CC increases the risk of ovarian cancer is unknown, although 2 articles illustrate a potential risk (Rossing, 1994). Other authorities disagree with this assumption.

The principal indications for CC use are in patients with oligomenorrhea, especially PCOD, and for patients with slight menstrual irregularities. CC is indicated in the treatment of patients with LPD due to small-size follicle development (van Hall, 1969; Garcia, 1977). Its use has been extended to ART.

The use of CC is contraindicated in cases of ovarian cyst, pregnancy, and liver disease. Its use is controversial in patients with a history of breast cancer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 11 months ago #45772 by mrssd
I am so appreciative to everyone who posted a reply and shared her knowledge.
I read something about a woman who took prednisone with Clomid and it was the only way that it worked for her. Has anyone heard of this or can anyone tell me why this would be?

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #74137 by Ammy
Yes, It works. Generic Clomid is an ovulatory stimulant used to treat female infertility. It can cause some side effects such as breast tenderness, blurred vision, headache, nausea and stomach upset. I got an info at internationaldrugmart.com; Some women get treatment that stimulates ovulation by producing more hormones and activate ovaries to release one or more eggs, use this Generic Clomid.
Last Edit: 7 years 8 months ago by .

More
1 year 9 months ago #96408 by Smalltowngirl95
Tomorrow is my first last day of taking clomid my doctor told me to start the 5th to the 9 days tomorrow will be my 5th day of my last one I'm just wondering if anyone can give me device of when I should start having intercourse should I have it on the 10th day or the 11th day and should I go every other day or everyday

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101mommd2b
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!