× Family & Parenting

Please explain how you do med school and kids!

More
16 years 6 months ago #45785 by Marcy
Hello everyone,

Thanks for your interest in what I ended up doing. Although I am still waitlisted at two med schools, I did turn down the acceptance to the private med school and started pharmacy school this week.

As far as "deeply satisfied" with my decision, I am not sure I can say that. Parts of pharmacy seem interesting, but I simply don't have the passion for it I had for medicine. I am hoping that when I have kids in a few years, and can work three days a week and enjoy them instead of being in residency, that then I will be deeply satisfied. For now, I feel that I made the best decision that I could make, and I sacrificed the career of my dreams to be an involved parent.

Thanks for all the great advice and concern I received from the women on this website. I hope future generations of women will not have to feel that they have to give up some of their family lives to pursue a career in medicine.

Marcy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 6 months ago #45786 by lalee
Marcy,
You are a loving, caring mother. You did what was right for YOU. It takes guts to do what you did. Not many parents these days put their kids before their (parents) own needs. Not to say that mom's pursuing medicine are wrong (believe me, I'm a single mom pursuing this), I just wanted to applaud you for making a difficult, heartwrenching decision. My sacrifice (somewhat) will be moving to where my ex lives so he can help. Good thing we have a friendly relationship, otherwise I would do what you did.
But, you never know, one of these days when they're all grown up, you can do what YOU want to do and go back to school...never say never!!
Good luck to you and your new career being a "drug dealer" ;)

More
16 years 6 months ago #45787 by Suzanne
HI, Good luck, I really wish you the best. After previously getting into my past careers, that were "OK"... but just seemed to "make do" in lieu of a medical career though...I realized, life is too short, and the kids will grow up and then what...a hard life decision I know. Good luck,
Suzanne :)

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101mommd2b
Time to create page: 0.250 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!