× Family & Parenting

name change

More
12 years 1 month ago #45844 by drsoon
Babywonder-
I respect your personal choices, but after working in research data management for several years, I'd advise against changing your name if you're published.
I had several female faculty tell me about how they "lost" publishing credit because potential employers simply didn't go to the effort to search for their maiden name when verifying publishing credits.

I'm sure other people have other opinions, and I'll happily defer to them, but that's been my experience.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 month ago #45845 by adrie9
I got married fourth year and hyphenated my name, but with his first because I wanted to abbreviate his name as an initial and still use my maiden name. But then I learned that you couldn't get your license in one name and go by another, so I decided to change my name again so that his name was one of my middle names and I could use it as an initial like I wanted to.

It was a pain to get it changed, and I had to have a lot of paperwork, but I got extra certified copies of my name change certificate and used FCVS when I got my first license, and now am able to just use their service for new licenses, etc. It's been worth it to have my name the way I want it. The only thing that would have been better is doing it the right way to begin with, but I didn't know what that was.

More
12 years 1 month ago #45846 by liball
I was married 6 yrs after graduating medical school and had been in the military for 14 yrs. Changing my last name would have been way too complicated at that point. I hyphenated my last name on my marriage license but didn't do anything to change it otherwise. When our first daughter was born we were living in Europe. Going through customs to return to the USA the passport officer wasn't going to let me take my daughter as we had different last names. After that I ordered the name change kit mentioned above and changed everything to my hyphenated name. Socially I call myself Mrs husbandlastname, professionally at work I ask to be called Dr maidenlastname. For legal things military records, licenses, banks etc I use my full hyphenated name- those things are usually typed etc so saying the hyphenated name outloud (annoying!!!)usually is not needed.
Sounds complicated but it has worked well for me. My last name on paperwork all matches (at the the first part of the last name) and my daughters know they belong to me.
It is even possible to get your last name on a diploma changed?

Dr. Mommy to Carissa, Lauren & James

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101mommd2b
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!