× Family & Parenting

Nipple shield

More
12 years 3 months ago #46609 by scooby
Hi,

I had a baby girl a week ago and we are not having any luck breastfeeding. She takes in the nipple and starts crying, desperate and not knowing what to do, or she just falls asleep at the nipple. The poor thing is trying hard, and is also getting frustrated. Right now, I am pumping and feeding and also supplementing with formula.

The lactation consultant we have been seeing suggested a nipple shield as a last option. We have had some luck with the shield, but it comes with a lot of disclaimers about potential reduction in milk supply and resulting weight loss etc.

Has anyone tried the shield ? Good ? Bad ? Would you recommend it ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 months ago #46610 by alkatz
Hi
I used a nipple shield for months after my son was born. I never heard of those disclaimers.

It was the only way he could breastfeed (he has a short frenulum and I was so engorged!) It took about 2 months to get him to take the breast without the shield. In addition to the shield, I would place a warm towel on my breasts before feeding to help with letdown.

I also pumped and supplemented with formula. Up until my severe illness a few weeks ago, he was getting 75% of mommy's milk.

I would recommend giving it a try. You may be able to wean her off the shield more easily than I did. Like I said, I always made enough milk for him and he has been healthy. I wonder why the disclaimer? My lactation consultants never mentioned them.

The test of courage comes when we are in the minority. The test of tolerance comes when we are in the majority. - Ralph W. Sockman

More
12 years 3 months ago #46611 by mrssd
i used the shields, not exactly inverted nipples but he had a hard time latching on b/c of engorgement. they worked really well. only had to use them for 2 weeks--when his latch was great he had no more problems.
as long as you are pumping ignore the hype about reduced milk supply. as you will learn, some mothers border on psychotic when it comes to warning you about this that and the other...most of the time they are full of crap...what is the alternative, you don’t breastfeed? some would have a field day with that…

More
12 years 3 months ago #46612 by residentmom
Check baby's frenulum-- I spent 3 weeks torturing myself with baby number one, asked the pedi, nothing. He had his frenulectomy at 2yo when his speech was not clear-- sure wish someone had noticed (or even checked!) that earlier.

ResidentMom<br /><br />"If you bungle raising your children, I don't think whatever else you do well matters very much." --Jackie O.

More
12 years 3 months ago #46613 by SAHMdoc
Ahh, the infamous ankyloglossia. My poor baby had to spend an extra 3 days in the NICU and even got an NG tube placed for "poor feeding", because he wouldn't drink his 30cc from a bottle q 3 h. Funny that no one ever bothered to look at his frenulum. I practically had to STEAL him out of the NICU because the nurses insisted he wasn't feeding well and demanded to keep him- on an NG tube, no less! I thought he was nursing fine- a bit slow and took forever, but he certainly didn't need to be in the unit just for slow feeding! Fortunately, I knew the neonatologist and he signed him out to me. I took him home, he did fine. Next day at the clinic, the pediatrician immediately checked his frenulum- which was indeed quite short. He severed it on the spot- it bled something awful, but healed within a day and we never had another feeding problem.

Originally posted by residentmom:
Check baby's frenulum-- I spent 3 weeks torturing myself with baby number one, asked the pedi, nothing. He had his frenulectomy at 2yo when his speech was not clear-- sure wish someone had noticed (or even checked!) that earlier.

More
12 years 3 months ago #46614 by momRNtoDO
I breastfed all three of my boys, and had some trouble with the second one. I used the nipple shields for a few weeks until he got the hang of it, went through the pesky breastfeeding jaundice slow feeders often get, going to the lab every 2-3 days, but we were able to correct it by about 3 weeks. The shields really can add contour and traction for your baby, and are generally a very temporary, but useful tool. I also discovered a wonderful support contact at the birthing center where he was born. The lactation consultant told me about it. The medical center had a lactation clinic-or boutique to be honest. They had additional lactation advice and breastfeeding products, the absolute best bras ever, and they offered free baby weigh ins so you didn't have to go to the clinic or sneak in to a baby scale, just to reassure that you really are giving your baby all they need.

“For I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future” (Jeremiah 29:11).

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101mommd2b
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!