× Family & Parenting

Nanny/AuPair 101

More
13 years 5 months ago #47055 by tsunami
Oh, the nannies I am looking at aren't officially "professional trained". Because the demand is so high for household help/nannies, there are hundreds of agencies in our city that help with placement and referrals... for a fee. I've been told that Craigslist is also a good place to look for nannies, but its too early for me to look there because nannies who list there want to start immediately, whereas my babies won't be born until end of September.

I was told that I had too many requirements and that is why my nanny would have to be paid more. I don't think my "requirements" are unreasonable.

1. Doesn't need to be fluent, but must be able to speak enough English so that I can communicate with her.
2. must have previous childcare experience with infants.
3. must be legal immigrant.
4. must be able to work about 50 hours per week.
5. must have reliable transportation so that they can arrive on time everyday.
6. must have references in childcare.
7. must agree to background check.
8. I didn't require infant/child first aid certification because we were planning to send the nanny we hired to a class.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 months ago #47056 by berkleyite
Tsunami- i would actually expect a lot more requirements so i don't think that yours are unreasonable at all. I would want a driving record too since i assume that she might have to take them to dr appts, etc.
also, did you check into home daycares? The one my baby is going to was referred to me by my son's pediatrician because she sent her children there.She is a stickler so my research hard already been done thank God.
and where do you live where daycares open at 8? the ones i have been involved with open at 6:30 and the one associated with the medical center opens at 6 and stays open until past 8, i think 8:30. the only place i have seen that opens at 8 was a montessori school. i ended up having to take my son out because of it.
I will be applying to residency programs this year and was looking at the university child care centers in my top 3 places (as of right now) one place costs $1210 per month!!! That's $302 per week. Plus i would have to pay for after school care for my son. I might as well have a nanny for that price.

More
13 years 5 months ago #47057 by berkleyite
Also some of the places i am looking at had childcare referral lists. It would take a lot of research into these places but is that an option for you?

More
13 years 5 months ago #47058 by tsunami
The childcare referral person at the University where I am doing my fellowship wouldn't even give me the childcare referral list. She said that the chaos of getting ready for work, getting the twin infants dressed and packing up all the supplies and milk (I plan to pump for the first year) in the morning would make me a bad candidate for daycare. Plus, if the kids get sick, I am trapped because I am using all my maternity, vacation, and sick leave for the next year and a half while I'm out on bedrest and maternity leave. We have no back-up. I would have to bring the kids to work.

The daycare on campus is impossible to get into, unless you are a faculty member who has a competing offer from another university in writing. They close at 5pm. They don't take infants under 4 months of age. They do have the most reasonable price, at $1175/infant/month and it gets cheaper as get older. They tell me that if I'm patient, I might be able to get at least one of the twins into their program in 3-4 years, even though I got on the wait list once my home pregnancy test was positive.

I started looking into daycare centers in our community (within 5 miles of our home). There are some that open by 7:30 am, which would make me cut it close getting to work, but all of them want you to pick up the kids by 6pm. The price of daycare is pretty close to hiring a nanny... The places I called charge $1550-1750/infant/ month (that's $3100-3500/month for twins). One of the daycares said they would give me a whopping 5% discount on the 2nd twin. I suppose daycare is still an option, but I'm worried we won't get there in time to pick them up. The $5/minute late fine would end up costing more than just hiring a nanny. I can't tell you how many times I've been paged to come back while walking to the car or pulling out of the parking garage at work.

More
13 years 5 months ago #47059 by phillymedschoolmom
My two cents:

It is worth whatever money you have to borrow for peace of mind that your children are safe and happy while you are at work.

The place we had our daughter at this year was...ok. Not great and we had all kinds of little fights with them. It was draining and frustrating (and we found a new spot for next year).

Also, if your husband can't/won't help at night - then, I think you better prepare to hire someone to live with you, or a night nurse or something. people mean very different things when they say "sleeping through the night". Is that 6 hours? 8 hours? and usually whenever the baby(ies) get sick, are teething, etc...not usually sleeping the night those nights. And Murphy's law says, it will never be the same nights as each other.

if you had someone who could live-in (like a student, the room and board idea from before) and help out at night - perhaps they could drop/pickup at daycare for a little extra money, or you could hire another student part-time to at least pick up - there are lots of options.

however, in terms of peace of mind and stability, (especially with limited family support) you might need to pay for some more expensive option.

off the top of my head example: if you had an au pair who could pick up the kids from daycare, make dinner and help out overnight, get the kids to daycare and then have days free, that would be under the 45hr rule. but, you would need daycare for the daytime hours.

More
13 years 5 months ago #47060 by Baby Einstein

Originally posted by phillymedschoolmom:
if you had someone who could live-in (like a student, the room and board idea from before) and help out at night - perhaps they could drop/pickup at daycare for a little extra money, or you could hire another student part-time to at least pick up - there are lots of options.

I was just thinking about that. Daycare + babysitter/nanny/au-pair for the evenings. I don't know if it would be cheaper for you, and it may be more complicated logistically

But 50 hours a week with twin infants makes for long long days, no matter how much you pay the nanny. Some evenings, I'm watching the clock to see how much longer before my DH is home to relieve me. That's with only one child, who's MINE! You may get better care for your children if you split the task... maybe? :twocents:

Good luck to you. You'll get through it, no matter what!

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101mommd2b
Time to create page: 0.260 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!