× Family & Parenting

Nanny/AuPair 101

More
9 years 11 months ago #71907 by coqui
Wow - lots of great posts here! I have been stressing out about finding childcare for our child (due Nov 13). I'm a private practice anesthesiologist and my DH is a engineering manager with office hours (thank god). I'm really fortunate in that my hours are quite flexible. However, as with anything in medicine, things always come up and I'm already stressed about how we will manage those times!

I worry a lot about the costs of childcare - nannies in our area want $15-20/hr. We don't have the space for a live in but we may have to become more open to that after we check out our monthly expenses! The whole process is so daunting and overwhelming. Additionally, we'll need to move to a bigger home so in the short term all our expenses are going to increase and my salary (until I head back to work) will tank.

I have faith everything will work out but like a lot of female physicians I want to be in complete control of this and it's just not going to work out that way :).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 11 months ago #71932 by rightpathdr
Ok it was good to see this old post. i posted as Berkleyite last. I couldn't' remember my username and have a different email address now. I guess. Anyway we had a nanny for 6m at the start of my residency. It was harder than I had imagined. Although many of the good things that i wish for now were there such as, her getting the kids together in the mornings and being there if we are late getting home, etc, the things I didn't like were her not taking the initiative to plan activities for the baby, not doing the housework she was supposed to do and things like that. So we were thinking about putting the kids in a day care again. especially since my husband had very flexible hours at that time. Anyway one morning on the way to work she got in an accident. She hurt her leg and was out of commission for 6 weeks. Well that was the same time that we got off of the wait list at a nearby day care that we loved. so it all worked out. Now my husband's hours have changed and the kids at at the day care from 7:30 to past 6!!!! I really dont' like that. I wish that i could have a nanny again but we cant' afford it.

More
9 years 10 months ago #72348 by cockatiel
Hello. I am new to MomMD. Seems like a very valuable resource, so I'll give it a shot.
I am a 4th year medical student slated to start a Family Medicine residency in July. We recently had our first baby, a boy, who is now nearly 9 weeks old. In January I am returning for my last 5 rotations before graduation. My husband currently works out of town, and I will be with the baby alone most week nights. We have several options for daytime nannies, but the nights are what worry me as our son is not sleeping more than 4-5 hours yet, and I wonder if I need someone there with me at night in order to get enough rest myself. Even being off from rotations since his birth it's a challenge to get enough sleep. Will I be a brainless zombie back on rotations if I don't get someone to help with nights? All opinions appreciated.

More
9 years 10 months ago #72352 by AnnaM
I think I've posted this somewhere else in this thread, but I used to have a daytime nanny and a girl who lived here in exchange for room and board and being available at night if I had to go out.
You will probably be a zombie if you don't get some night time help, if not this spring, definitely after you start FP residency.

Look into maybe finding a college student who will help cover nights in exchange for room and board.

More
9 years 10 months ago #72353 by cockatiel
AnnaM,
I do remember seeing your post somewhere (this post is long!). My only concern is that we have a 2 bedroom house and the only room she could sleep in would be the baby's room. Is that too much to ask?

More
9 years 9 months ago #72355 by AnnaM
Just a thought here: babies don't actually need a whole room to themselves. When my Mom was having her 7 kids in a 2.5 bedroom house (the third bedroom was barely big enough for a twin bed and dresser), the newest one always slept in a crib in the hall, behind a folding screen. Or, of course, you could move the baby in with you. When we had our live-in it was because my husband took a job in Arizona that lasted 18 months. I moved my 2-year-old daughter in with me to free up a room for the live-in.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101mommd2b
Time to create page: 0.243 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!