× Family & Parenting

Nanny/AuPair 101

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #77549 by drpinki
Great thread. We are having a similar discussion in my family. I am taking a new job in a new state as an attending and my physician husband will not be able to join me for 4-5 months due to his current contract. We have a 2 yr old daughter and are trying to figure out what the best options are for her. Currently, I am a junior attending at a medical center and the med ctr has an incredible daycare. We have also been lucky in that we have worked out call schedules so my husband and I are NEVER on call the same night. I am not sure what my new job situation will be. So if anyone has any ideas on where to find a nanny/daycare in New Orleans let me know! Also, any suggestions on how to handle being a semi-single parent for 4 months. We don't have family in New Orleans, so this is really going to be an adventure.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago #78901 by skipro26
Looks like this thread has been less than active for a while, but I need some advice, so here goes:

I am about to start a family med residency and my husband is in the army. He will be deploying this fall so it will be just me with my two girls--ages 2.5 years and 2 months. My nearest family will be four hours away, and while I'm sure I'll make new friends at church, I don't feel comfortable just asking anyone for help.

I've been researching live-in nannies, as I think that's the most practical option with nights, weekends, call, etc. But if I'm working up to 80 hours per week, wouldn't that mean that nanny would have to as well? How on earth am I going to afford the rent on a large enough home to house my family plus a nanny, pay her (at least) $1000 per month stipend, pay for pre-school for my toddler, and still make ends meet? Two salaries will help, but am I going to have to dedicate mine entirely to child care?

Suggestions?!?!?

Thanks!!!! :)

More
8 years 9 months ago #78902 by lyn2006
We don't have a nanny now but did look into it before we started residency, and I believe you can't have a nanny work 80 hrs/wk. We figured that we would have had to get 2 nannies or done daycare + nanny for before and after care. I'm sure others can chime in.

As for how to pay for all of this - you might have to dedicate yours entirely to child care... My day care here is ~1200/mo per child and you have 2 kids so that's 2400/mo. In the state I live in you can only have a child at daycare for 50 hrs/wk max so I'd also have to pay before and after care which would probably average an extra 10-15 hrs/wk at ~$10/hr (both kids combined). There's another 400-600/mo. You'll also have weekend call (not sure how often in fam med) and daycares aren't generally open then, so you'll have to pay the sitter or nanny for those days. You'll be capped at 16 hrs per shift now with the new rules, and maybe average 1-2 weekends per month (??). You could probably get away with paying ~100/day depending on location (I think I could find that where I am). So estimate another 200/mo.

OK, totals: 2400 + 600 + 200 = 3200/mo for childcare. Or, ~38k per year. Your pre-tax salary will likely be in the mid 40s (mine is 47k) but that depends on location.

Maybe others will also have input :)

More
8 years 9 months ago #78905 by skipro26
Yup, that would be my entire salary

More
8 years 9 months ago #78908 by Emily2651
Yep. Your whole salary will go to childcare. Where I live it would be my whole salary and then some. (Next year I'll have a three year old and a newborn in daycare full time. I expect my monthly tab will be about $3200. A nanny would cost another $3-4K. I make $3600/m after taxes as an R2.) You will need daycare + nanny or two nannies. Actually I bet the cheapest thing would be two au pairs ... are you allowed to have two au pairs?

The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea. -- Isak Dinesen

More
8 years 7 months ago #80254 by lemons
Has anyone thought about getting a foreign nanny? I was on greataupair.com and saw that there also nanny listings from all over the world like Italy, UK, Brazil who are speak English. I don't know the logistics but some have visas already. I'm sure there's some fee to the agency involved. If anyone has any experience with this, please share.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101mommd2b
Time to create page: 0.260 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!