× Family & Parenting

Nanny/AuPair 101

More
12 years 11 months ago #47031 by JazzyMD
Hey
I use to be a au pair/nanny and my only advice is to make sure the nanny is fun and open. You don't want a dull nanny around you and your children. So go outside of your "ideal" nanny and get a person with spunk.
As you see I was a spunk filled nanny :laughing:

Jazmine

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #47032 by AnnaM
All I have to say on this subject, with years of child care issues all behind me now, is if you are having an in-home caregiver with small children, GET A NANNY-CAM. I really really REALLY wish I had had access to that technology when my kids were little. I still feel guilty about some of the stuff that went on, that I didn't find out about til later, and I feel lucky that nothing worse happened, knowing now what could have. When my children start having kids, I will provide the nanny-cam myself if they can't afford one.

More
12 years 10 months ago #47033 by TexasRose
Our new AP arrived this evening. :D I've been trading emails with her on a daily basis since we selected each other last month. The kids have responded really well to her already. She even brought gifts for everyone that were specific for their hobbies or personalities. So sweet!

With any luck, this is finally the solution to the childcare drama in our lives. :crossfingers:

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you."

More
12 years 9 months ago #47034 by ams
We are in the process of transitioning au pairs right now. We have had a wonderful, loving, fun, energetic Mexican au pair with us for the last year. She and my son LOVE one another and I have no worries when I am at work, or if my husbands travel happens to fall on a call night. I would offer the following advice, that I have learned over the last year:
Don't become TOO personally involved. As tough as that sounds secondary to the fact that they are caring for your child. We went way above and beyond for our AP, paying her more money, bending our curfew rules, taking her to the Caribbean...all because we really liked her and wanted her to do an extension year. WHich she initally agreed to then backed out of. Try to maintain some professionalism and a business sense about it.
We have a new Mexican AP coming next month, and I'm just hoping she'll be as good, and that I can follow my own advice.

More
12 years 9 months ago #47035 by TexasRose
Thx, ams, for sharing your advice. I'm glad you had such a positive experience. Our aupair is settling in pretty well so far. I'm also doing my best to maintain a more professional relationship. It's a tough balance because I want her to feel happy and welcome, but at the same time I need her to respect me as an employer. Tricky stuff.

Happily, she is so much better than the first gal we had. My plan is to stick hard and fast to the rules and schedules we planned so that the right expectations are set. I believe part of my mistake with the first gal was that we immediately took her with us on a vacation and tried to accomodate every single thing she asked for. (even when it wasn't best for us)

Good luck with your new AP and please share any other gems of wisdom!

ps- our AP can cook and likes to! :D

More
12 years 8 months ago #47036 by TexasRose
Just wanted to update.

Our AP is a gift from heaven! She's much more laid back and quiet than our family tends to be, so she really provides a nice balance to all the energy and intensity we have going on around here. She cooks for the kids, makes healthy snacks everyday, helps them with their homework and just generally provides a wonderful positive energy to our home. I really couldn't be any more pleased. :goodvibes:

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101mommd2b
Time to create page: 0.282 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!