× Family & Parenting

Atopic Dermatitis?

More
10 years 10 months ago #47097 by HAM
Well I have done the Cetaphil cleansing and used every emollient (except Crisco) mentioned so far. I took him to the pediatrician and because he has one spot under his chin and one kind of near the flexure of his elbow, he says its eczema. He gave me a prescription for triamcinolone and told me what to do for bathing (that I was already doing).

From what I understand of eczema - its not as reactive to different types of clothing but more dry climates, isn't that correct? We put another new outfit on him (this one 100% cotton) and his entire torso is covered with patches of circular red, slightly elevated, not that scaly areas. He doesn't really itch them at all except under his neck at the zipper of his jammies.

I went to the pediatrician with the anticipation that derm is not ever ANY of our strong-points in primary care unless we are dermatologists or allergists. I'm going to keep looking. I might take a picture of him in his diaper tonight and post it on the facebook forum for you to check out and give me your input. Other than the skin thing, my baby is a happy kid, not bothered by anything but naps! Thanks so much for asking!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 10 months ago #47098 by asunshine
I had it bad as a kid. No moisturizer worked. What helped was using allergen-free laundry soap and softener and natural-fiber clothes. I personally think that too many creams and lotions on a kid can be part of the irritation, but I can't back that up. What also helped me was getting the environmental allergies under control: I took allergy meds (as a kid, not as a baby), and my parents had their heating ducts cleaned out. They also ripped up the carpets and later made sure they moved to a house where there wasn't a cat living there previously. Also, grass and certain other synthetics really make me flare out of control (which I guess would make it more of a contact dermatitis...), so staying away from them is good.

I've been pretty vigilant about keeping allergens from my daughter, and so far she doesn't have any problems. I take an Omega-3 supplement and breastfeed, which I swear helps, but again, no hard evidence to back me up. ps-I love the Burt's Bees soap and lotion!

Sorry about the run-on post.

More
10 years 9 months ago #47099 by alkatz
my son had really bad eczema as a baby.
the Doc said to use OTC hydrocortisone cream to clear it up.
I switched to Aquaphor (soap free cleanser) and used lots of eczema cream. He still gets circular spots from time to time (almost 2 years old now) I just put the cream on the spots as he gets them. Prior to his severe outbreak, i was careful of allergens (i am hypersensitive to most anything and had horrible eczema even in my teens)

I ALWAYS have used dye-free/perfume-free detergent/dryer sheets and 100% cotton. I did not have a problem finding non-100% cotton clothes, so I don't know what to tell you. the brand of eczema cream is Gentle Naturals Disney

I hope you can keep it under control. By the time he broke out, my milk was drying up anyway, so it was easier to control being on formula.

The test of courage comes when we are in the minority. The test of tolerance comes when we are in the majority. - Ralph W. Sockman

More
10 years 9 months ago #47100 by residentmom

We put another new outfit on him (this one 100% cotton) and his entire torso is covered with patches of circular red, slightly elevated, not that scaly areas.

Is it your detergent? If you haven't already, try one of the "Free" ones... just thinking since the new outfit was no better...

ResidentMom<br /><br />"If you bungle raising your children, I don't think whatever else you do well matters very much." --Jackie O.

More
10 years 9 months ago #47101 by alkatz
something i forgot to mention is I always wash in "free" detergent before I wear anything (or put on him)

I don't know if you do or not, but figured i'd mention it.

Have you introduced any new foods to the baby recently? At 8 mo, i assume they are eating some solids.

The test of courage comes when we are in the minority. The test of tolerance comes when we are in the majority. - Ralph W. Sockman

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101mommd2b
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!