× Family & Parenting

Fussy baby?

More
14 years 10 months ago #47192 by Kate_dup1
We are blessed with a beautiful little girl. Healthy and now 3 1/2 weeks old. She, however, is the fussiest little thing. It seems like I'm nursing her non stop. I think I am interpreting her hunger cry correctly. I know there are growing spurts but eating every 20 to 30 minutes? Is that realistic? She has had one bout of non-hunger crying that lasted a few hours but I don't think that is being repeated. I thought maybe she was going to be colicky, but it really sounds like hunger. I am afraid that I am making nursing as a source of comfort for her not just feeding. She's going to be a blimp! Our first son seemed so easy compared to this time around. Im frazzled here (and sore).

Suggestions/empathy anyone?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 10 months ago #47193 by cardiacRN
HEY KATE

I nursed both my kids until 18 months, my first one though it took me about 5 weeks to get in a good milk supply and had that fussiness problem; maybe she is just not getting enough milk. Congratulations and good luck.

More
14 years 10 months ago #47194 by Kate_dup1
I think you may be right. I'm so tempted to supplement because by the end of the evening when she is at her ravenous, I have nothing left, literally other than increasing soreness. But all the manuals say that is the worst thing to do.

How did you get through it?

More
14 years 10 months ago #47195 by PremedRN
Kate,
Ive never breastfeed my kids so take this advice as you see it fit. What always was my concern when thinking of breastfeeding my children was the fact that I would not know really how much milk they would actually be getting. Could you maybe try pumping your breasts and get about 3-4 oz and try giving it to baby that way? Because babies at this age, if are an every 3-4hr eater will only suck about that much...usually. This will at the very least let you know if you are producing or baby is sucking enough milk. Just a thought.

More
14 years 10 months ago #47196 by defreema
I can not tell you what a sense of deja vu I'm having with the original post. I also have a daughter, who is now 10 weeks old. In the first 4 weeks I thought I was going to totally give up breastfeeding. She was increasingly fussy and nursing seemed to be the only thing that calmed her down. Ironically, 20 minutes later she would wail again :banghead: . My son was also very easy compared to this!
I took the approach that there must be something wrong with how she is processing the milk (or something wrong with the milk itself). I cut out dairy foods and everything spicy, then slowly reintroduced them. I also re-evaluated her latch. I'm not sure if they made a difference or just time.
She still has periods of fussiness, but nothing like before. Part of me thinks that her body just needed to adjust to being outside the womb (she was four weeks early).
Maybe you could try evaluating what your eating, when she seems to be most fussy, and what (other than nursing) calms her. Do you think you could give her a pacifier to see if it comforts her? Sometimes giving my daughter one and a snuggle helps calm her just enough for me to figure out what's really going on inside that baby body :)
Good luck!!!

More
14 years 10 months ago #47197 by Kate_dup1
Thanks for the input. I've decided that she is just more fussy during the evenings and is cluster feeding. I have cut out caffeine almost totally. big problem is that I don't have enough milk supply at the end of the day and her latching on to a nearly empty breast is making an already bad situation worse. She has poor suck technique and I am ending up with pinched sore nipples. Spoke with a lactation consultant and so far, no relief. I am on Reglan now though but after 4 days, no improvement. I am so tenuously on the fence about switching to formula at this point. I've already had to supplement her feeding at night with at least 1 or 2 bottles because I just can't handle the pain of her suckling.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101mommd2b
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!