× Family & Parenting

residency interviews and breastfeeding

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #47231 by lapetitebriemd
Does anyone have any advice about breastfeeding while interviewing for residency? I am pumping and will leave bottles for the baby but I am concerned about not being able to express for an entire day. Any advice?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #47232 by AnnaM
What kind of residency are you interviewing for? If it is for peds or FP, just tell them you are a nursing mom and see if they can work a little break into the schedule for you to pump. They are pretty family-friendly in that sense. You can bring a cooler and leave it in the car if you are driving. If you are interviewing for a surgical residency, you might need to rethink that advice. At the very least, you could take a couple of bathroom breaks during the day and hand-express just enough to keep your breasts from getting too uncomfortable. Some interviews are only a half-day long, too.

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #47233 by Tamar
I'm having the same problem at the moment. Carting the electric pump around was inconvenient and I'm not taking it around for the rest of my interviews. I'm trying to limit my "away" time from the baby to at maximum a 48 hour trip. I can manage if I pump extensively before the mornings activities and can press through until about 4 or 5 pm when I absolutely have to pump again. The last time I did this I noticed my milk supply started to accomodate by day 3 or 4 and I had to work to get it back up to usual production once I was home again. I'm not planning on being away for that long again so I think I by the time my breasts even notice, I'll be back home and have baby at arms length again. I don't think asking the programs to schedule some break time is going to be realistic. A look at my itineraries and every possible moment is used.

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #47234 by mm's mom
How old is your baby?

Once my son started sleeping through the night around 4 months (8-12 hours or so), I was able to go that long during the day without pumping on occasion, as long as I pumped well before and after. Now, when I work, I only pump when I get to work, then after I'm done 9 hours later. My son is 7 months old now. Just a thought - if you go all night without pumping, just move that window of time to the daytime for the interviews. (and compensate a little by pumping when you get done with the interview and again before you go to bed).

Good luck!

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101mommd2b
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!