× Family & Parenting

How do you guys feel about pitocin?

More
11 years 2 months ago #47419 by LauraMD
Yeesh.. I can't resist.. I have to throw my two cents in here for what it's worth.

Merri, as a patient, you certainly have the right to refuse any medication or treatment. Do not let anyone bully you into doing something you think is not appropriate. Question your doctors and nurses. Let them know what you have in mind. Most of us will try to accomodate you as much as possible.

At the same time, I dislike this line of conversation because as a physician (who has delivered several hundred babies, BTW) and a Mom (who has had 4 babies from 3 C/S's--and NONE of them are heroine addicts, either, nor do they have autism.. :rolleyes: ) I know that things do not always go as planned. I have seen much despair and agonizing in Moms whose birth plans that have gone astray. They often feel they will be looked down on if they do not have a "natural" birth. It is good to have some idea in mind about what you want to happen, but do not let terms like "unnatural" make you feel like there is a right and wrong way to bring a baby into this world. Whatever medical interventions are needed to get that baby safely here-- Hey, they are all good. :cool:

One last thing to throw out there.. some of the worst birth trauma (to both Mom and Baby) I have seen has been in the form of home births gone awry. Please make sure you do your homework/research if you go this route. It is not all a bed of roses either.. ;)

And when they carve my stone, all they need to write on it is, "Once lived a man who got all he ever wanted..." --Ty Herndon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 months ago #47420 by merri
thanks for your thoughts LauraMD -
So - in the end I have decided to switch providers/hospitals. I am going to a group of CNM who work with my former OB. I will be (hopefully) giving birth in an Alternative Birthing Center located right in the maternity ward - so OBs, ORs, and any necessary interventions are literally in the next room... As for going natural... I am going to try to have as little intervention as possible. But... I am a realist and if I feel that I need meds or if labor does not go as planned, I will trust my care givers as much as possible. I also decided to get a doula - so that I will have as much emotional support as possible (something that I think is pretty important if one is trying to avoid meds...). I'll let you all know how it goes!

Side note: rositabean and Path - please take your tiffs elsewhere - comments about the topic are always welcome, but if you feel the need to become personal, do it via pms... or I will close my own thread. I am very pregnant and have little patience for this...

More
11 years 2 months ago #47421 by SW to MD
Thank you LauraMD for bringing up c/s as something that can happen, even if you are shooting for the "no interventions" birth.

I had pre-eclampsia with my first, and when I started seeing spots of light and came down with the worst headache of my life, I had to be induced with pitocin.

I was actually contracting on my own when I was admitted, however I will definitely echo the fact that contractions become infinitely more intense very quickly. Instead of building up the intensity over time, you go from 0 to :cloud9:

Good luck- and enjoy your little one! :grouphug:

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy - MLKJ

More
11 years 1 month ago #47422 by HAM
I wouldn't freak out if I were you. Pitocin isn't that bad. Your doctor likely has reasons. I've seen some bad outcomes from moms who didn't listen to their physicians (that's why I didn't do OB/GYN). I would recommend trusting the gut instinct of your doc. He/she has seen many more births than you have and will use clinical judgment in the decision making process. The most important part of the whole process is that your baby comes out alive and healthy. It would suck to look back after a bad outcome and wonder if you contributed to it in some way.

Bad things do happen. Its horrendous and devastating but it does occur. Statistics come from somewhere. Trust your doctor.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101mommd2b
Time to create page: 0.221 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!