× Family & Parenting

spoiled kid?

More
14 years 1 week ago #47736 by Sally
This summer while my nearly 6 yr old son is on summer break, I am only working 2 days per week.
He is signed up for 3 weeks of swimming lessons, goes to karate 3 times per week and has 2 weeks of summer camp. He also has a bunch of single day field trips. Although I worry sometimes he is 'overscheduled' he seems to be very happy and raves about his activities. We also have a family vacation coming up with only him (his younger brother will stay with grandparents).

The problem is there are 8 days this summer that he stays home mostly with his 2 yr old brother and the nanny. She takes them to the park in the morning (she doesn't drive). He has been misbehaving terribly with her, both verbally and physically. My husband is of the opinion we should just ship him off to camp every day to prevent this fiasco. But part of me feels our children are already too privileged and SPOILED! What ever happened to playing by yourself for a few hours? He also does not lack for parental time with us. We spend a lot of time together as a family as well as privately with him.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 week ago #47737 by shjames
Hi,
My daughter is 6 yrs old too, and boy does she have ATTITUDE! She doesn't act out physically like your son, but her sarcasm (at 6!) can be quite caustic at times.
I think it's great that you're not willing to tolerate physical or verbal abuse of your childcare provider by your son. As a Mom that works outside the home I think I tend to be more indulgent of my kids which isn't necessarily a good thing at times. If I stayed at home all day I might not be willing to put up with so much attitude.
If you think your son is being bratty, he probably is. One of the best lessons in life we can teach our children is how to treat others properly. Easier said then done, at least in my case--I'm still working on my daughter's sass :) .

Shelly

More
14 years 6 days ago #47738 by MTaylor
I have no solution. But I can understand your concern. Often times I see children completely acting out...and I think to myself "s/he needs a spanking." Even worse, I see parents trying to *negociate* with their children...as if!!

I agree, verbal or physical disrepect shouldn't be tolerated. And we'd better figure out how to "get thru" to these children before they grow up.

I wonder if I gave my mom such a difficult time...

<a href=" www.coilyembrace.com " rel="nofollow" target="_blank"> www.coilyembrace.com </a>

More
14 years 6 days ago #47739 by Cabinbuilder
For Sally,

You can always use your son's karate as his currency since that is what is important to him. Shows him there are consequences for his actions. He talks badly to the caregiver = no karate. I do that with my kids, no weekend movie, no tv, etc. It works better than standing in the corner.

LECOM Class 2006
Osteopathic Family Practice Resdincy 2009
Locum Tenens: Urgent Care/Rural Medicine.

More
14 years 5 days ago #47740 by Carole
I think there is something about age 6 in some kids--my daughter is 6 and I swear sometimes she is truly horrible. She used to be so nice and good, and now she is just obnoxious, rude, demanding, over dramatic--I keep thinking she got some genes for this from my husband's side of the family! I put her into a day camp for 6 weeks but have about 4 weeks this summer with her at home--not looking forward to it. :banghead:

More
14 years 5 days ago #47741 by Empi
I think kids need to know the difference between privledges (such as all those activities) and rights (three squares and a warm bed) and if they get spoiled take away some privledges.

I think its difficult when you are comfortible financially because you want to give the kids stuff but stuff isn't always the thing they really need. A lot of two income parents give kids stuff out of guilt, not good.

We were extremely poor when our older kids were little. Now we're doing well and it's an adjustment to teach some lessons that came naturally when mom and dad didn't have the money to spoil the kiddos.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101mommd2b
Time to create page: 0.286 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!