× Family & Parenting

Not yet a mom, but wondering...

More
16 years 8 months ago #47815 by DocHopeful
Hi! I've posted this also on the General Discussion Forum, so sorry if it's a repeat for some folks!

I'm currently applying for med school admissions in fall 2003. If accepted, I will start school as a 29-year-old. I have spent a few years working in Japan and in California in a number of fields including film, teaching, and marketing, and I'm returning to my original passion of medicine. I am not yet married and do not yet have kids, but I do hope to someday. I've heard that residency is tough, so I've been thinking of postponing kids until after that, when I will be 35/36! Would this be the best route, or might I be able to hack it in residency? I do hope to spend time raising my kids rather than sending them to daycare all day, but I am concerned for the health of my babies if I have them at an older age. I'd love to hear any feedback from MomMDs out there with advice!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 8 months ago #47816 by momof3
DocHopeful-
I have had three children and am a neurologist in private practice. I had one in residency, one in fellowship, and one once I got out into private practice. I had more support and more time off during my residency and fellowship than I ever got while an attending. It is tiring to have kids and be in training but it can be done. I say "Go for it!". :D Let me know if you want more info.
Momof3

More
16 years 7 months ago #47817 by DocHopeful
Dear Momof3,

Thanks so much for your reply! I was surprised to hear that you had more time in residency/fellowship than after. I am not very familiar with fellowships: are they structured similar to residencies with more specific focus, or does it depend? What are the advantages to doing one?

Sounds like you've done what I aspire to do--I'm excited for the possibilities that lay ahead! Thanks again.

More
16 years 7 months ago #47818 by momof3
DocHopeful-
Fellowship is subspecialty training that you can do after residency to further specialize in your field. In my case I did neurophysiology, a one year fellowship, after I finished my neurology residency. It can sometimes make you more marketable.
Glad you are enthusiastic about the possibilites that lie ahead of you.
Momof3

More
16 years 7 months ago #47819 by CaLiGirL:)
Momof3,

Hi!...I was wondering how it was having a child during your clinical years of medical school and residency. Hope to hear from you!

Annie

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101mommd2b
Time to create page: 0.215 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!