× Family & Parenting

How old were you?

More
12 years 2 months ago #48013 by tsunami
I was 35 years old (and my husband 40) when I had my first and second child (I had twins). I didn't get married until I was 33, partially, because of moving all around the country for school and not being able to meet the right one. Even though I was the last of my friends to get married, we were the first to have children.

I was in fellowship when I had my twins, and that seemed like a better time than residency to have kids. (I worked over 100 hours/wk during my IM residency) I ended up on bedrest from 20 weeks onward and had to make up all that time at the end of my fellowship. Maybe if I were 25 instead of 35, my body would have been able to handle the twin pregnancy better. Who knows? In anycase, I have been able to do everything I wanted to do for my twins. People ask if we plan to have more kids... give me 5 years to recover, and then ask me again. By that time, I might be too old anyway.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago #48014 by Sweet
We had our first when I was just a little shy of 23 and the second one just before 28. I don't think I would have survived my life, and I certainly would not have been the person I am today, if my children had not arrived when they did. They were, are and always will be such an incredible blessing - in all honesty, a feeling of extreme gratitude and blessedness overcomes me at least once a day. I am also glad to be a "younger" mom (although I can see the significant benefits of being an "older" mom too, so I am certainly not drawing comparisons), since it may have possibly helped me avoid potential fertility- and pregnancy-related problems, and it suits my personality and mothering style very well.

More
12 years 2 months ago #48015 by Mitch
I was 31 with my first, 33 with my second, 35 with my third. There are pluses and minuses to doing it this way....the minus being that I'm 38 and still working on pre-req's with a 7, 5, and 3 year old. However, the plus side is that we were much more financially stable, and definitely more patient, mature, and generally "ready" when we had kids.....I don't know if there is a right or wrong way.

Live, Love, Laugh

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101mommd2b
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!