× Family & Parenting

Family Friendly Medical Schools??

More
13 years 3 months ago #48191 by jessie
I graduated from University of Michigan (in 1995) where I had my first child after my first year of med school there. They were not exactly family friendly to all the way I saw it. I asked to complete year 2 over 2 years and was allowed to without question BUT I had complicating factors other than a newborn which included the fact that my mother died 3 weeks before my baby was born and my husband was beginning his residency. Others I knew who also gave birth around the same time as I did were not allowed to split up their second year. That being said, I bet things have changed over the last decade with the number of women now entering medicine.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #48192 by braydensnmom
I go to UNC CHapel Hill in North Carolina and I think our school is very family friendly. I told them I had a son when I interviewed, and there was no problem with iut. I am now a fist year med student and there are several mommies just in my class. I have heard the third years have many people with children and multiple people who have had children since they have been in school. There is a girl in my class right now who is having her first over christmas break and they have been very accomodating to her. The only unfortunate thing is, you can't just skip one block in first and second year. You either have to fail it and retake it (which actually isn't as big of a deal as you might think- just explain you were having a baby), or you have to take the entire year off. Many people take a year off for a variety of reasons and it is totally up to you. Most of our classes are done by 12, so I have any afternoon where I can take my son to a doctor's appt, or study so I don't have to do as much at home. Currently, I am home every night from 5-bed time with my son and it is absolutely no worse than a full time job.

More
12 years 10 months ago #48193 by banney
I have just finished interviewing at a number of schools (both MD and DO) and by far and away, the most family friendly school I visited was Des Moines University. From the moment I walked on the campus, I could tell that family was important to the students and the school! At lunch, we were surrounded by students whose husbands, wives, significant others, and kids all came to eat there. The students indicated that they appreciated the family atmosphere. I heard stories of rooms where new mothers could breast feed while the audio and/or video were streamed in from the lecture hall during class so they didn't have to miss. Anyways, just my experience.

More
12 years 10 months ago #48194 by Doc201X

Originally posted by braydensnmom:
You either have to fail it and retake it (which actually isn't as big of a deal as you might think- just explain you were having a baby), or you have to take the entire year off.

Failing doens't sound that "friendly" to me. :confused:
I'm a graduate of Chapel Hill (grad schol) and I find it extremely hard to believe that the school in now "family friendly" unless a few things have happened since I left. 1) Did they tear down the "housing projects" they called family housing and construct new ones that at the very least don't have years old mildew in the tubs/sinks? 2) Is Dean Dent still there because I met with her once to ask about the school policy for parents who had seriously ill kids (I asked about chicken pox) and her response was that they just had to find a sitter. 3) Do they now add additonal financial aid for parents with kids in daycare?

Perhaps in stating a school is "family friendly" some real life examples useful to parents of what makes a particular school family friendly would be helpful. :yes: I also think it's important to note that Dads in med school "having kids" doesn't really count for much.

My Scientist/Physician Journey
www.Doc201X.blogspot.com

More
12 years 10 months ago #48195 by Doc201X
Adding Howard University to the list!

My Scientist/Physician Journey
www.Doc201X.blogspot.com

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101mommd2b
Time to create page: 0.220 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!