× Family & Parenting

Need advice on weaning

More
12 years 8 months ago #49407 by E
I want to stop breastfeeding. Any advice on weaning a child who does not want to be weaned?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 8 months ago #49408 by Baby Einstein
It really worked well for us, but I don't think my kid was particularly resistant to weaning. He wouldn't have done it on his own, but didn't resist. He was 12 months when I actively started, 14 months when he had his last nursing. I think I missed it more than he did!

Here is what we did. First, I always had an activity (going to the playground, watching Sesame Street - I know, bad mommy -, reading a book...) at the time of our usual nursings. Worked like a charm. If he was hungry before or after that, I fed him solids before nursing him, so he was full and wouldn't want as much milk. He gradually nursed less and less (and of course, I had less milk so that helped).

When I was at school (started back when he was 12 months old) he didn't ask for me at all and took the bottle without a problem. When I was home, I would step out of the house if I saw it coming and would let daddy/grandma give him a bottle. We made it a big deal that HE was a BIG BOY and would have HIS daddy feed him a BIG BOY BOTTLE!!! He really got into it!

The hardest one to give up was the middle of the night feeding. He had been sleeping through the night for months, but at that time I went back to school and he was teething, so he started waking up again and would not go back to sleep without nursing. I really didn't know what to do, but eventually he started sleeping again and that was the end of nursing for us.

Good luck! Just take it slowly. I think the best way is if they're distracted enough that they forget it's time to nurse, and want a snack instead.

More
12 years 8 months ago #49409 by Mitch
I don't have an answer to the actual weaning question, as all three of mine weaned themselves...one at 9 months (seriously...he'd push me away!), one at a year, and one at 14 months. But one thing you may want to consider is weaning to a cup versus to a bottle, depending on how old your baby is. Obviously this isn't a good idea for an 8 week old, but it definitely is an option for > 6 months old. Sometimes it's really hard for toddlers to give up their bottles later, and if you can get them straight onto a sippy cup, it's one less battle for later. My kids are past that stage now, but at the time Avent made a sippy cup top that was flat and quite soft. My kids took to it really quickly.
Good luck with the process!

Live, Love, Laugh

More
12 years 8 months ago #49410 by Baby Einstein
Oh yeah, we weaned to a cup (but we call it a bottle). He drank juice from a soft spout cup when he was younger, but by the time he was one the hard spout one was fine. He never took the bottle, and if your kid never had one, he'll probably refuse it anyway (too similar to the breast, but NOT THE REAL THING!).
Good luck!

More
12 years 8 months ago #49411 by eeh2004
My youngest was addicted to the breast, and it was exhausting! Around 6 months the fatigue and nighttime feedings were just too much, but we kept on...

She then very quickly adapted to solids and began to lose interest in nursing around 8 months. The bedtime breast, though, was something that she still wanted. I decided to wean at 8 months and we did it slowly over a month by, as above, getting her interested in other things and by working with her interest in other foods. Bedtime was the last to go! I started NuvaRing, and the hormones helped decrease my milk supply-less milk meant less interest from the little one.

She's still (at 11 months) not a cup fan but we're working on it. Avent does still make the cup that Mitch mentioned and she seems to like it.

More
12 years 8 months ago #49412 by VivCe
I nursed my son until he was about 17 months. I had to travel out of town for a couple of days and I took that opportunity to wean him. Since he was already on solids at that time, he didn't nurse that often anyway. It was more for comfort, I think. Since I was gone he had no choice but to eat solids and drink his milk and water.

The night time feedings were also easy to stop. We didn't allow him to get in bed with us when he woke up in the middle of the night. Instead, my husband would put him back to sleep in his own bed in his room. Gradually, he lost interest in the night-time feedings. Also, because he spent most of his day in daycare, I didn't have to deal with him wanting to nurse during the day. After daycare, I would feed him a big dinner so he wouldn't have a desire to nurse.

Of course he would try to lift up mommy's shirt but I would distract him. After a week or two, he was not interested. I even asked him if he wanted to nurse one time and he ran away embarrassed.

He weaned to a cup. He never liked the bottle anyway.

If it is meant to be, it is up to me!

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101mommd2b
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!