× Family & Parenting

Baby Gear "Must-Haves"

More
11 years 11 months ago #49858 by alkatz
hi
i second the boppy! A must if nursing. It also serves as a supporter when they start to sit up.
Now I use it as a head pillow when I lay on the floor to play with him.

I had a Moby wrap (like a sling) and I really liked it, I was given a baby bjorn but my son never liked to be in it.

A good breast pump. I liked the Pump in Style medela. Also invest in decent storage for freezing.

A crib (eventually...I still use the pack and play, my son is about 1 year, but it serves as a crib just fine)

Blankets large enough to safely swaddle them.

I could not have survived without a swing. It had 2 positions (reclining and upright) and a light/sound options. The only way I could get him to sleep at night when he was an infant was in it!

My son loved his vibrating chair, and it had a display of fish that moved. But not a real necessity.
A decent stroller for walks is nice. I had the Graco set that fit the infant seat onto it.

A play gym/activity center is nice too for when they start to look at things.

I had more stuff than I really needed, but most were shower gifts.

It is tough because no babies are alike, and I know many that loved things that my son hated.

The test of courage comes when we are in the minority. The test of tolerance comes when we are in the majority. - Ralph W. Sockman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 11 months ago #49859 by alkatz
i wanted to add a book that I found immensely helpful, and still do. The Baby Book by Dr Sears. I am not one to tell others how to raise their kids, but if you like the Attachment parenting philosophy, it is a good resource.

also Happiest baby on the Block was good too. The hospital where I delivered had a class where they gave out the book and dvd, in addition had a hands-on safe swaddling instruction. I will tell you from my years as a nursing assistant at a pediatric hospital, swaddling neonates is essential for their happiness, and it can be done safely. I took it so my hubby would be more comfortable around the new little guy.

The test of courage comes when we are in the minority. The test of tolerance comes when we are in the majority. - Ralph W. Sockman

More
11 years 11 months ago #49860 by docE
I've never used a sling, but lots of people seem to like them. Obviously it must be safe, but it just looks so flimsy, like a sheet, and that the baby could fall right out--does it feel secure? Does it take a while to get it on and all situated? Some of them look like you're all wrapped up in it and it took 1/2 hour just to get it on! Any particular brands that are good?

More
11 years 11 months ago #49861 by rina33
Ergo carrier, pack and play, vibrating chair, swing. These were our essentials! I liked the Bjorn carrier for the littlest stage, actually, but my son outgrew it quickly!

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101mommd2b
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!